G4 Preouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G4 Preouts

I am sure the low level outputs could be tapped inside the G4 before the amplifier circuit. Has anyone seen this done anywhere yet? This is perhaps the biggest feature that the G4 lacks, and would be worth voiding the warranty if someone has the points already figured out. Why they decided not to include preouts is beyond my understanding aside from making a reason to upgrade to the next unit.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

Apparently it's a completely seperate module.

I have pushed and pushed to have RCA outs instead, but unfortunately, for the current target market they decided that having built in power was a better option.

Because of the way the G4 is manufacturered, they will have to make a completely seperate run to include RCA outs instead of built in power.

We are considering ordering a handful of these, but will have to test on one first to make sure the audio is routed accordingly.

I do not have any ETA on when or if this will actually happen. All I can do is continue to let them know my stance on it.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
      Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

Apparently it's a completely seperate module.
      Well, still see no reason that the circuit board can't be tapped prior to the amplifier circuit. I am sure the low level signal is there on the board ready to be tapped by someone willing to tear apart and experiment.

Comment

I had the same problem, my car audio installer had use in my car an interface who translate the signal in low level digital signal for the amplifier.

Comment

I recently upgraded my amplifier to an Alpine MRP-F450, which has both line-level (RCA) and speaker-level inputs (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FxhLgAz...p?I=500MRPF450). From the brief amount I've read on some web sites, I can't find any obvious problems with using the speaker level input on an amplifier.

Does anyone here have any reason that I should get another external sound card (for the replacement G4 I'm gonna buy), instead of just using the onboard soundcard wired to the speaker level inputs on my external amp?

Also, is there some reason for people without speaker-level amp inputs to not just use a "hi/lo" converter, such as those at http://www.installer.com/hilo/, instead of dealing with all of the issues an external sound card brings with it?

Thanks,
          John

Comment

every time there is a conversion there is also a loss of sq & a rise in the base noise floor, going low-hi-low is a definate disadvantage to going low straight to the amp. even using the speaker level inputs will be a dissadvantage to going with a good soundcard & then going into the amp

on the other hand it will work, & if your happy with the results then it may be good enough for you, the difference should be enough to hear it though.
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

right but wouldnt direct rca's from the unit sound better then an external soundcard?
              J. J
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2604492
              TYPE RF System INSTALLED:
              RAVDVD1, Front: Silk FNX/FNQ 6.5, Highs amp: 801X
              Working on:
              Midbass: 8 HX2, Center: 4 FNQ, Midbass Amp: 801s, Center Amp: 301m, Sub Amp: T30001bd, Processors: 2 3Sixty.2

Comment

well the unit doesn't have low level rca output's though, all the audio is routed through the internal amp. I'm not saying the internal amp is bad, but it is obviously not going to be as good as a high quality external amp for sure, & having it go through that amp, then be converted to low level rca's to go into an external amp will not be as good as using a good external sound card when it comes to sound quality.

if I ever get my hands on one of these I will take it apart & find a way to bypass the internal amp, BUT this doesn't even garentee high quality audio as that is going to be dependant on the internal soundcard to begin with, just from the fact of the compactness of the components involved & the target market for this thing I would suspect that you'd STILL have better results with an external high end card

A possibility may also be to use a good line driver in place of the built in amp, another may even be to replace the built in soundcard, but for all the mods that would take it probably would just make a whole lot more sense to just use the card externally & not have to slice up the pretty little g4

Comment

right... would you consider the roadie thats offered with the g4 a high end external card?
                  J. J
                  Working on:
                  Midbass: 8 HX2, Center: 4 FNQ, Midbass Amp: 801s, Center Amp: 301m, Sub Amp: T30001bd, Processors: 2 3Sixty.2

Comment

I'd say it's pretty good using the optical output, once you start looking for rca outputs I could't say really, I use that card currently in one car but optical out into an alpine 700 processor. that's a great route to awsome high end sound, don't know what your after though, if you want rca's into amps I don't know what the best cards are for that really, never researched it.

Comment

the pre-outs on the G4 that comes with RCA outs probably isn't going to be audiophile quality.you would be better off going with an aftermarket sound card.I say this from an audiophile stand point. most people probably wouldn't notice the difference.
                      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

right... im looking to compete in USACI SQ (like the pm i sent you) and i have 2 rockford fosgate 3sixty.2 processors on the way but it doesnt have any optical inputs. I dont know if i should just use the stock sound card because of the line level inputs or just go with the roadie or what not. (the 3sixty.2 is a 5v line driver too) but i dont want to loose quality.

I almost want to just build my own unit just because of the lack of rca's on the G4.... but im concerned if i can even would do it (although i would consult my friend that owns a stereo shop and repairs amps so he could help out alot)

At this point all i want is something that has a hard drive and can play mp3's/ music videos, dual layer dvds, 5.1 dvd audio discs and can give me a good quality 5.1 signal. All the rest is nice but other then those things i dont care if it has it or not.
                        J. J
                        Working on:

Comment

From what I have read on other forums, there is not currently any brand of amplifier that uses optical input that does not rely on the same brand of head unit to work. The G4 is a head unit replacement so these amp options don't work well. Please inform me if I am wrong. I would like to go this route.

With a high level to low level converter, you would definitely lose noticeable sound quality assuming you are running quality speakers. There are amps that attempt to "fix" the high to low conversion by running the signal through a sound processor equalization curve like the RF 360. I really don't want to go this route.

Comment

I started a thread a while back where we were looking for optical in amplifiers. They simply don't exist.

Here's the thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...al-inputs.html
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by IandI View Post
                              From what I have read on other forums, there is not currently any brand of amplifier that uses optical input that does not rely on the same brand of head unit to work. The G4 is a head unit replacement so these amp options don't work well. Please inform me if I am wrong. I would like to go this route.
                              My amp has optical input and it works great, had it a couple years.... it's a Pheonix Gold R5.1 Mobile Theatre.

Comment

Working...
                              X