12v powered USB hubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v powered USB hubs

Most solutions out there are DIY. If you made it 8-10 ports and have a molex power connection that would be great. Also include a molex to bare wire plug that could be used to hardwire it to the car for the guys using laptops.

I have one of these in my car, it rocks! it would be good if the store had these:
    http://www.coolgear.com/productdetai...04,653,210,212

The green connector has a male screw terminal plug supplied that accepts bare wire (12V & ground)
    WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
    Webpage

Comment

Third pin is not "enable" to save power when pc is off? Tried to see on link, but no mention of that. It that was the use of the third pin this item would be perfect, instead of my current solution with separate DC/DC converter.
      My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	USBG-4U2ML111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	2284422

http://www.coolgear.com/productdetai...04,653,210,212

I've been looking at this one from CoolGear.

They don't have any specs as to what the third pin does on the power connector. I'm also interested in knowing if it suffers fromt he same problem some cheaper hubs have and that is allowing voltage to flow back from the hub to the otherboard. I know some members have had problems with this damaging mainboards.

I also like how, unlike the Carnetix hub, the power and USB connections are all on one side. Having the power connection on the back just adds to the installation footprint, and in a car that's not a good thing.

Comment

NZXT offers a USB expansion that is powered by a molex:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607_copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	2284425
          (Click photo for product website)

I have one of these in a home PC and it works rather well.
          You can add more USB ports to the headers on the board, as needed.
          A very handy piece of kit.
          Last edited by DarquePervert; 07-06-2012, 06:22 PM.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I saw that, but 1) I'd need to fabricate an enclosure for it and 2) I'd have to find the internal USB connectors and related tooling to properly terminate USB cables to connect to those pin headers.

Comment

Those internal USB connectors are common.
              I can a pair of USB ports at my local Fry's for $5.

I understand about not wanting to fabricate an enclosure, though. That would be a decided PITA.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Surely this is just a case of buying any decent usb hub with an external power and using the correct converter?

Comment

What would be good, is a powered version of something like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-HUB-4-...item2570c2bb75

Enabling you to put the USB's wherever you want.

Comment

For anyone interested, here's a couple of shots of the 4 port Startech.com version of the hub. "CoolGear" doesn't seem to ship to Canada. I got this from Newegg for $59. It'll be a while before I get to test to see if there is any problem with the voltage running back to the host.

Comment

So the hub reads .98v at the +5v in lead of the uplink port when powered with 12v at the power connector.

Comment

Working...
                      X