12V Flip-down VGA monitor and CPU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V Flip-down VGA monitor and CPU

I have purchased a Shuttle X-mini as a CPU to run my navigation software (Navionics) on a 45' sailboat. We are headed across the Atlantic next month! Anyhow, I have 2 issues.

1) Where do I get a 12v-12v voltage regulator? Basically, my batteries are anywhere from 12-13.4V but my computer can only accept 12V. It isn't too tolerant on variations in voltage.

2) I am looking for one (or two) 12V monitors so I don't have to deal with the inverter. I would like them to be flip-down as space is an issue. I am looking in the 10-12" range. 19" is way too big.

BTW, will my computer have any issues running a 12V monitor? I mean, wouldn't it naturally expect a 110V monitor? Maybe the CPUs signal is voltage-independent, I dunno.

Any other tips on configuring this system openly and greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TouchScreen

Are you looking for a touchscreen monitor?
    -SwiftDeath

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonpeter View Post
      1) Where do I get a 12v-12v voltage regulator? Basically, my batteries are anywhere from 12-13.4V but my computer can only accept 12V. It isn't too tolerant on variations in voltage.
      Check out the p2140 or p1900
      http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-026.htm
      http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-010.htm

You would need to make a cable connecting this to the shuttle, but theoretically, this shouldn't' be too hard.

2) I am looking for one (or two) 12V monitors so I don't have to deal with the inverter. I would like them to be flip-down as space is an issue. I am looking in the 10-12" range. 19" is way too big.
      Touch or no touch?
      If you are on a budget, you could mount these from the ceiling and they would fold relatively flat.
      $312.99 http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_10_..._p/mon-027.htm
      $189.00 http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_FA1..._p/mon-051.htm

expensive options would be $550-$630
      http://www.xenarcdirect.com/home.php?cat=255

To have the cleanest signal on your monitor and have a long monitor life, you might want to consider using the secondary regulated 12v output on the supply to power your 12v monitor. This will filter out any alternator or motor noise from your boat.

BTW, will my computer have any issues running a 12V monitor? I mean, wouldn't it naturally expect a 110V monitor? Maybe the CPUs signal is voltage-independent, I dunno.
      There are no issues running a 12v monitor with a computer as long as it is powered well.

Any other tips on configuring this system openly and greatly appreciated! Thanks!
      Posting a picture of the installation area would allow us to give you some more tips.

This is also a nifty little accessory you might want to check out:

Marine Grade USB Cigarette Port Replacement
      This USB port mounts nicely in wood or fiberglass.

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...ctCode=COM-040

Comment

I have purchased a Shuttle X-mini as a CPU
        There are a bunch of cables already made for other types of computers which might work on the shuttle. Check out the cable lists here:

http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResult...earch=carnetix

Comment

Do my eyes deceive me?

Good to see you here Fiberoptic.
          Tidder

Try RevFE
          The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Thanks, all, for the input. Good stuff.

I do not require touch screen. I have a wireless mouse that I plan to use. The monitor at the nav station (I hope the pics uploaded OK) would be on the ceiling on the left side of the picture, just above the nav station. We are crowded on space. Anyone carry these? I can get them all day long...if I want to take my chances sending money to China!! I'd like to find one here.

The P2140 DC regulator looks good. But it only has 2 outputs. I was thinking of running 2 monitors -- one at the nav station and one at the steering station. That would require 3 outputs. Or do monitors really need a regulator? Or can one of the monitors be powered through the Shuttle?
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, all, for the input. Good stuff.

I do not require touch screen. I have a wireless mouse that I plan to use. The monitor at the nav station (I hope the pics uploaded OK) would be on the ceiling on the left side of the picture, just above the nav station. We are crowded on space. Anyone carry these? I can get them all day long...if I want to take my chances sending money to China!! I'd like to find one here.

The P2140 DC regulator looks good. But it only has 2 outputs. I was thinking of running 2 monitors -- one at the nav station and one at the steering station. That would require 3 outputs. Or do monitors really need a regulator? Or can one of the monitors be powered through the Shuttle?
              What did you think of the Lilliput 10" displays? They would probably collapse and only use about 2" above the nav station. if your shuttle uses 12v, you could power the shuttle and 3+monitors out of the primary output just by using a very basic 12v distribution block.

You should regulate your monitors if at all possible.

Comment

The Lilliput 10.4" flip-down model would do just fine...if I could find one. When I google it, I come up empty.

I think I understood what you said about the distribution block. It sounds like I can get a DC dist. block, and plug that into the monitor output of the Shuttle?

Comment

The Lilliput 10.4" flip-down model would do just fine...if I could find one. When I google it, I come up empty.

I think I understood what you said about the distribution block. It sounds like I can get a DC dist. block, and plug that into the monitor output of the Shuttle?
                  Here is the monitor link.
                  http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_FA1..._p/mon-051.htm

For power distribution here is the way it works.

Regulated 12v from carnetix ---->distributed to--->Monitors, shuttle.

A bad install would even just use basic wire nuts. you could solder or use a distribution block, or other types of marine grade crimp connectors to do the distribution of the regulated 12v power output.

Comment

Thanks, Fiberoptic, but the monitor link did not upload. Can you try again?

Comment

Thanks, Fiberoptic, but the monitor link did not upload. Can you try again?
                      i fixed my posts. http://store.mp3car.com/Lilliput_FA1..._p/mon-051.htm

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

That monitor is not a flip-down. I really need a flip-down. Any other thoughts? I found one on eBay (we'll see what it is about when it arrives), but the guy only had one and I am looking for another.

Comment

Since finding a small, VGA flip-down monitor doesn't seem to be happening here in the US (though China seems to have several different models), i was wondering about a different route. Is it possible to hook up a regular a/v flip-down monitor to a computer via some special-purpose cable?

Comment

Since finding a small, VGA flip-down monitor doesn't seem to be happening here in the US (though China seems to have several different models), i was wondering about a different route. Is it possible to hook up a regular a/v flip-down monitor to a computer via some special-purpose cable?
                            For about 2 years I have been looking for a flip-down monitor that has VGA connection for my Prius. Two years ago, when my carputer was installed I had no choice but lived with a non-VGA 15.4" flip down (using SVIDEO from the carputer). Now that flip down is broken (at the hinges), I am actively in search of a VGA flip down again. I bought one 19" off ebay from China and it is too big. I searched up and down and found Legacy LMR 1750 that on the box it says VGA but actually they don't have it. I called the manufacturer and they confirmed that it was a misprint.

Now, I have no flip down in my Prius and I can't still find a VGA flip down. I am thinking about just a small regular LCD monitor and mount it upside down. I am looking at the power issue. If possible, this monitor will not flip up but will be stationary. I never like the hinge mechanism of any flip downs anyway. A regular LCD Monitor will for sure not rock back and forth. I will have to rotate the screen 180 degree via software or hardware (if it has standard VESA mount.)

If anyone doing the same and have comments/experiences, please speak up.

Weight is an issue? Maybe, but if a 19" flip down can hold, a 15" regular LCD should hold?

Oh, Price for a 1530YR xenarc is simply beyond reasonable. I will not spend $600+ for a 15" VGA flipdown.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X