No announcement yet.

boat navigation software pc processing power

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boat navigation software pc processing power

I want to put a itx computer in my boat to run chart navigation software. The software would be Seaclear or PolarNavy. What kind of video power do I need? Any recommendations on motherboards or CPU?

that software is recommended for win 95 and up. i'm pretty confident any current embedded mini itx motherboard will run it fine
    New System in progress:
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

From an update point of view, I'd get PolarNavy. It's updated a lot more than SeaClear appears to be.
      1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

I would reccommend using one of the products from Via. I use a fairly new Via Epia-Sp in my setup and they seem to do well in extraordinary environments like a car or the like,

You should check out the AEC series from Aaeon:

My buddy has one on his boat, and says it is a great product.

I will say that go for a AMD based processor for boating computer, it is fast and will work naturally most of the times according to need.
            Last edited by morgancooper; 11-03-2012, 03:24 AM.