sailboat pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sailboat pc?

anyone have a pc in a small (25-30ft) sail boat?

i'm going to a boat auction in the am, and will hopefully get a good deal on a sailboat, and was wondering if anyone here has a pc in their sailboat
    95 Mazda Protege LX
    Worklog
    Overall [Project Dead] 0%

2003 Nissan Altima
    [XXXXXXXX--] 80% Planning
    [XX--------] 20% FABRICATION/INSTALLATION

Worklog

how u gonna power it? wind generator? solar panel?

u cud use a laptop, but ur limited to power time

Comment

Originally posted by farmboy30
      how u gonna power it? wind generator? solar panel?

u cud use a laptop, but ur limited to power time
      A small solar panel wouldn't be a bad idea if you also had it rigged with a capacitor of sorts for when it's not so sunny.
      C134, EPIA M10000, 512mb, M1-ATX, DWW-700H, Seagate 40GB, Panasonic DVD/CDRW
      Alpine ERE-180 EQ

Comment

Probably the best way to power the PC would be to run it off of a deep cell battery and use the solar panel to keep the battery charged.. That's pretty much the way my brother keeps the battery in his camper in Montana charged.
        Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by tj!2k4
          Probably the best way to power the PC would be to run it off of a deep cell battery and use the solar panel to keep the battery charged.. That's pretty much the way my brother keeps the battery in his camper in Montana charged.
          that's what i was thinking, or keeping a batt charger plugged in while docked
          95 Mazda Protege LX
          Worklog

2003 Nissan Altima

Worklog

Comment

I am using a mac mini on my motor boat. Very small footprint and you can use any kind of screen.

David

Comment

Won't a sail boat of 25-30 foot have an auxiliary engine, or small generator.
              Lilliput 8" Touchscreen LCD
              VIA EPIA MII-12000
              60GB 3.5" Hard Drive 5400
              512MB DDR PC2700
              DVD Drive
              802.11G Internal Wireless Card - External 5db Antenna
              100m USB Bluetooth Adapter
              Nokia N70 Phone
              GPS USB Receiver
              Centrafuse 1.6

Comment

Let me know if you need a weatherized stainless case for it. I am designing one right now for use in boats. Its going to be NEMA 4 enclosure. PM me if interested I can send pics.
                -Gordon

Comment

Veritas:
                  SS case for what.....the Mac mini?

Comment

Veritas:
                    SS case for what.....the Mac mini?
                    I was reffering to taking any components and making a ruggedized chassis for them that would be waterproof as well as classy in a appearance.
                    I usually do this with carcomputers but have recently been getting questions about boat pc's as well. I could remove the mac mini from its chassis and relocate it into a custom NEMA 4 enclosure that would be safer in a marine enviroment.
                    -Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Teknoledgi
                      Won't a sail boat of 25-30 foot have an auxiliary engine, or small generator.
                      no not always, i was looking at some this past weekend, and only a few had engines capable of charging batteries(most had 9hp pull start motors)
                      95 Mazda Protege LX
                      Worklog

2003 Nissan Altima

Worklog

Comment

My advice. Use a combination of a wind generator and solar panel with a deep cycle battery. That way if it's not sunny you still have power via wind. That is if you really want a computer. There are several other ways you could get GPS and sound with out the price. you could use and ipod and just buy a GPS. Ipods are rated for around 14 hours of play time. you could still use a deep cycle battery to power your marine GPS / charge your ipod. You could even power a small amp to some speakers. Say 100w total. There are a lot of possibilities.

The main problems I see with a car computer on a sailboat:

1. I think you will find that wind / solar power devices that put out enough power to power a small computer are really expensive.
                        2. Corrosion problems
                        3. Power, if the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining, your battery isn't going to last much longer than a couple hours.
                        4. No GPS software application I know of has relevant marine map data.

Mainly though the cost. I mean if you have the money, go for it.

If it were me, I'd get a deep cycle battery, a small wind generator, an ipod, 2 marine speakers, 100w marine amp, low end marine GPS. You could even build a wind generator from a brushed dc motor and large fan for relatively cheap. Or for the price of an ipod buy a marine headunit with mp3 capability.

Ok, this is really turning into rambling. The point I think. . . Is that there are a lot of options and a car pc might not be the best for your application. your really going to have to compare cost, pos and cons, and preference.
                        510mb PC3200 DDR
                        ATI Radeon 7000 64mb
                        [||||||||||] 95% Complete

RentATechnow.com

Comment

Originally posted by S11D336B
                          4. No GPS software application I know of has relevant marine map data.
                          Could you elaborate on this?

There are specific marine navigational software packages such as Fugawi, The Capn, P-Sea, and many more.
                          Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Oh sorry, I must have been mistaken. But what I meant by relevent map data. . . I meant markers on the gps such as intercoastal markers, depths, marina data, etc. I suppose though that you only need to be able to specify way points though. . But if software packages exist then you won't have a problem with that . Sorry about that.
                            510mb PC3200 DDR
                            ATI Radeon 7000 64mb
                            [||||||||||] 95% Complete

RentATechnow.com

Comment

If you are looking for something a little more rugged for use on a boat maybe consider one of these units at: http://www.stealthcomputer.com/littlepc.htm,
                              I think they have marine friendly options as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X