Water Resistant computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Resistant computer

I was looking around the net and found this, it may have been brought up before, but figure I'd post it any way...

http://www.visson.com.tw/en/products...ing/iceman.jsp

Would be really helpful for a boat, its a fanless, ventless computer that water resistant...

2006 Mazda 3
    Behringer DCX-2496
    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Hi would be good if it was water Resistant sorry to say it's only Splash RESISTANT.
    How about fiting a pc inside a Peli waterproof case this would be waterproof.

Comment

the under water images are photoshopped, they would be better off, putting it aquarium with fishies, and demonstrate it runnung under water, while playing some application on monitor

Fanless procesoors are okay, but 2.5 hard drives is a diiferent story

Yev
      R. T. F. M

Comment

LOL.. Go for it.. I wanna see you hookup mains power to a pc that's floating underwater in a pool. hehe..
        CAR INFO HERE
        "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

people submerge pcs in distilled water frequently, i don't see why people dont just do this for boat pcs. Obviously saltwater wont be good for the pc......but if its in its own water tight plexi fish tank......you should be good. similar to the idea of the gel pc
          PC Components:
          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
          My work log

Comment

How can you submerge a pc in distilled water? It still conducts electricity. Will still fry it. The only thing that you would be able to get away with is oil as it's not a conductor or electricity.
            CAR INFO HERE
            "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

distilled water will not conduct electricity, but will eventually ionize........and eventually will.

I've seen a system that ran for a few weeks on pure distilled water, but a lot of people will use oil instead. Oil is a better alternative.
              PC Components:
              Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
              My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                Oil is a better alternative.
                As long as it's a mineral oil. Vegetable oil will do something possibly worse than ionizing...it will eventually turn rancid. Ugh.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

the main issue on the home pc forums at the moment is quite cooling.
                  I reckon you would have to fill the box with oil (and put a heatsink on the outside) if you want a water proof box otherwise the computer is gonna give you an onboard oven and cook itself.
                  PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

Originally posted by hotponyshoes View Post
                    the main issue on the home pc forums at the moment is quite cooling.
                    I reckon you would have to fill the box with oil (and put a heatsink on the outside) if you want a water proof box otherwise the computer is gonna give you an onboard oven and cook itself.
                    You could also use something like this:
                    http://hengruisi.en.alibaba.com/prod...r/showimg.html

Then you could run the tubes through the case and then seal up the holes that the tubes would go through, then it wouldnt be a big deal if the fan got wet. In fact, you could even get crazy and mount the reservoir/radiator on the side of the boat below the water line, or somewhere it would get a good airflow and eliminate the fan altogether.

Another alternative (a bit more ghetto) would be to use the same type of idea, except put the computer in a standard case, then stick the whole thing in a trash bag and then stick the hoses out the top of the back then cinch up the bag opening around it. That would keep the computer dry.
                    Mobile Impact
                    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
                    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

a liquid cooling system could be built easily enough, & the the pc case sealed tight...

oh, I just saw that's what you said too
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                        a liquid cooling system could be built easily enough, & the the pc case sealed tight...

oh, I just saw that's what you said too
                        Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

Seal the case and just use a standard water cooling system hooked up to every piece. Also you could do the same thing, sealed case, but still have the fans and just transfer the ambient temperature outside with one water cooling radiator type deal.
                        -------
                        I'm hungry

Comment

yeah... little late, but the whole sinking a computer into distilled water or oil... that dosn't include the hard drive

2006 Mazda 3
                          Behringer DCX-2496
                          JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                          JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

wow didn't check the post dates, sorry.

Yeah no spinning disks can be submerged, but a HDD usually only needs minimal cooling
                            -------
                            I'm hungry

Comment

hey kaboom? you been here since oct 05 & your only up to planning 5%?

at that rate it'll take you 28 1/2 years more to reach 100%
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                              X