Chart Plotting software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chart Plotting software

So anyone here using any marine applications for chart plotting?

I'm looking for my father-in-law.... From what I've seen, Ray Marine, Garwin and Magellan want you to use their proprietary GPS to talk to their Software...

So what are you guys using?

Vin
    Carputer works... but will never be complete....

Originally posted by Vinster03XR View Post
    So anyone here using any marine applications for chart plotting?

I'm looking for my father-in-law.... From what I've seen, Ray Marine, Garwin and Magellan want you to use their proprietary GPS to talk to their Software...

So what are you guys using?

Vin
    Maxsea is a really nice package and has pluggins for sonar, depth finder, weather, etc. http://www.maxsea.com/
    Mobile Impact next release features native integration with this program versions 10 and 12.
    Mobile Impact
    Highly innovative car computer multimedia/entertainment system software.
    http://mobileimpact.biz.tm

Comment

But unfortunatly they don't have the great lakes or northern canada.... One of the reasons we are having trouble.... The manufacturers I listed above do...

thanks though... keep'em comming

Vin

Comment

I personally use a program called MacENC (yes for the mac - intel or ppc) which uses freely downloadable vector charts from NOAA - very high quality and updated on a regular basis.

Not sure about the integration into a BoatPC but the software does allow for AppleScript commands so it wouldnt be too hard.

Comment

^ I'll check that out

Comment

a great resource for free gps software is

http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

There are a few links for free marine plotting/navigation software

Comment

Originally posted by darkseid View Post
              a great resource for free gps software is

http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

There are a few links for free marine plotting/navigation software
              I've checked that one out before... the best one for charting it SeaClear.. but you have to scan your charts then calibrate to use.... just too much room for error....

Vin

Comment

I use my laptop in my boat for navigation with Maptech Offshore navigator. You can display real Nav charts on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stugy View Post
                  I use my laptop in my boat for navigation with Maptech Offshore navigator. You can display real Nav charts on the screen.
                  That looks like great software, the the link they provide for free maps don't have lakes in Ontario Canada though

Vin

Comment

It will display most NOAA charts, You can buy them from Maptech. They sell them by regions. I also have my laptop connected to my handheld GPS and it displays my exact location on the chart. Very handy when you need to know depths, also for navigating it will talk to your autopilot if you have one and you can plot a course, measure distances, and guide to your destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Stugy View Post
                      It will display most NOAA charts, You can buy them from Maptech. They sell them by regions. I also have my laptop connected to my handheld GPS and it displays my exact location on the chart. Very handy when you need to know depths, also for navigating it will talk to your autopilot if you have one and you can plot a course, measure distances, and guide to your destination.

The only package that I found on their websire that had Canadian charts was CAPN which is now a discontinued product..

Vin

Comment

MaxSea the best!

Comment

marine GPS

I use Garmin MapSource and nRoute software ($119 with charts on CD) on a laptop with a Garmin GPS18 ($87 on eBay) USB antenna. absolutely wonderful. routes, waypoints, the whole shebang.

Then, I got one of those Ramline touch screen units ($102 on eBay). what an easy way to go, touch input, no keyboard or mouse needed, hard mount, 12V operation with no power converter, power pak or inverter needed. full color display, daylight viewable, and plenty fast enuf even with its PIII processor to run GPS.

Comment

Navigation Software

Originally posted by Vinster03XR View Post
                            That looks like great software, the the link they provide for free maps don't have lakes in Ontario Canada though

Vin
                            Transas Navigator is a good nav software with world charts. It has all the
                            bells and whistles in it, ie autopilot, AIS, Route, anchor, depth, safety range (watch circle), chart scale alarms, 3D seabed visualization, actual route memorization.

Comment

We use Ecc-Globe on the boat i work on.
                              Electronic Charts Company, Inc. World Class Electronic Chart Navigation Systems

Comment

Working...
                              X