Amp not powering on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp not powering on

Hey, ive had my car set up for about half a year and its been working fine. Yesterday the amp cut out whilst i was driving along. I checked the connection terminals and they were all ok.

This morning i have changed the terminals for the power and the earth and replaced them, i have also removed and made new connections for the remote wire.

The amp still isnt powering on, how ever there is power coming from the battery to the amp because when i touch the power lead against the power terminal on the amp the subwoofer bumps when the power goes through it

It seems as tho the amp isnt being told to turn on even though the remote lead is connected

Has anyone got any ideas what might be the problem with the amp?

Thanks

Tim
    ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Well its simple enough to check the remote - use a test light and proble the wire. If there is a power coming from the remote, then the amp is being told to turn on. What type of amp is it? Does it have thermal protection? Are there lights on it, is there a fault light? Also, test the ground by connecting the ground end of the test light to that and probing the power wire to ensure the ground is good. Verify there is power in the power wire with a chassis ground first.
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

Comment

I will test the remote and earth tonight, the amp is a Lanzar Vibe 420, um not sure if it has thermal protection, i baught it off a m8 so i havent got the box with it. There are lights on the amp, there is a green power light that comes on when it is turned on ( but because its not turning on at the moment it doesnt come on) there is also a red fault light, and this doesnt come on when u try and turn the amp on.
      ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

Also check fuses on the amp itself

Please help.

Comment

I have checked all the fuses on the amp and also the fuse on the main power cable, they are all fine
          ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

Ok, well let us know when you've got the test light and you've verified that power and ground works on your three wires. We'll take it from there.

Please help.

Comment

when u say a test light u just mean a LED yeh?
              ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

ok, i havent got a test light on me at the moment, but i have checked the ground connection and its all ok and bolted down tightly, i have also looped the remote cable from the + on the amp to the remote lead connection..

When i do this the sub slowly moves out, how ever the power light doesnt come on and also no sound comes out.

I am going to check the voltages with a metre in a minuite... i am thinking now that it might be something on the remote cable terminal that is preventing it from powering up?
                ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

How old is it? Has it been running lower than 4ohms for a while? It may have died.

had it been running hot for a while? Its not all that uncommon for amps to blow resistors while retaining the fuse. It may be a problem with the protection circuitry whereas its letting a little bump through...even though the protection light isn't on...

Please help.

Comment

Um, ive had it for about a year now, and i baught it off a family member and i think he had it for about 2 years..

I dont think its been running lower than 4 ohms, ever since ive had it its been running perfectly powering my 6x9's and my sub, its just all of a sudden its stopped working.

It hasnt been running hot as far as i know, it gets a bit warm when ive been using it for along time but im guessing thats normal.

I was going to take the casing off and stick a metre on the connections to see if there are any fried joints or anything

If its not that u got any more ideas what could be the problem?

After the weekend i am also going to try my m8s amp on the cables just to make sure it isnt the wiring
                    ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

Also, tries yours on his. That's always the best way to Narrow-it-down trouble shoot something. There are so many variables, the basic ones being the wiring, fuses and the load. Have you tried each channel individually? Unhook all speakers. Power up the amp, try one 6x9 on each channel to see what happens? What kinda sub you been powering?

Please help.

Comment

Yeh ok will do, like i said ive checked the fuses and they all look fine. I havent tryed each channel individually because the amp doesnt even power on to try them.

Ive been running 2 x Infinity 6x9's (300 watt each) and a 800 watt 12" sub ( i cant remember the make of it ).. so its been running pretty much flat out.

But like i said it wont even turn on to test the individual channels.
                        Do u know of any websites that can give me circuit diagrams, because if all else fails ill take the cover off and try and see if anything is wrong
                        ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

Just use a DMM to test for voltage, it would seem either the power or remote wire isn't getting any juice. If they both read 12V, then check your ground. You say you've checked every fuse on the amp and your inline fuses on your power wire, other than that there is nothing other than the amp itself that would cause it to not turn on.

Comment

I told you to test the individual channels because as you said, you get at least a little pop in the sub when you turn it on. You should see if the amp will turn on with no speakers at all connected to it. Verify that is not a load problem with the amp. Once you are satisfied that its not a load problem and not a power delivery or ground issue. Then you know you've probably got an amp problem. TO be on the safe side, try to voltage readings from the power and remote. As far as diagrams go, you may find that only the manufacturer wouldl have them and may choose to not provide them to you. YOu can open it and check for obvious problem like blackened resistors and such. SHort of that, it may just be time for a new amp.

Amps tend not have great longevity when they are bridged. You have a 4 channel amp, I"m guesing you are bridging 2 channels to one 4ohm sub? That would produce a 4ohm load to the amp, but double the voltage across the board. Producing more internal heat and wearing out components more quickly. Its effective to increase power, yet it does take a toll on the amp. .

Please help.

Comment

Yea the amp is 4 channel total 600 watts, and yea ive been bridging the channels for the sub, and using seperate ones for the 6x9s.

Ah right ok, yeh i was thinking about getting 2 x 400Watt amps, so then that way i can indepidently run the sub off one, and the 6x9s off the other.
                              It is a old amp any way and its about 3 years old.. so 3 years of constant pounding for power has probably taken its tole on it.

Thanks for ur help guys
                              ~¯|¯ÍM™~

Comment

Working...
                              X