Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX - constant power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX - constant power?

Ok, i'm looking into using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX external sound card in my car pc setup.. It can be seen here: http://www.creative.com/products/pro...uct=9103&nav=1

Now looking at the images, i see it is externally powered, so i am wanting to know if it will constantly be drawing power, even with the computer off, and if so, how much power? I do have an inverter i can use to externally power it, but i don't want to be killing the car battery if this thing will remain constantly powered on even without the computer being on... Any input peoples?

I can give half an answer - I have a Creative Extigy external soundcard, and it draws 0.5A, even with the PC off and the power button pressed off so all the lights go out.

It has drained my battery twice now.

Ian

Comment

hhmm perhaps it's not the best idea... i might just get a dual PCI riser card and forget using an external sound card for the time being. looks like it might be the easier option.

Comment

If you're using a PCI card, you'll have to do with other posible disadvantages, such as noise going into the signalpath.....
        Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
        CLARION HX-D2
        CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
        CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
        CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by Brycestro View Post
          Ok, i'm looking into using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2NX external sound card in my car pc setup.. It can be seen here: http://www.creative.com/products/pro...uct=9103&nav=1

Now looking at the images, i see it is externally powered, so i am wanting to know if it will constantly be drawing power, even with the computer off, and if so, how much power? I do have an inverter i can use to externally power it, but i don't want to be killing the car battery if this thing will remain constantly powered on even without the computer being on... Any input peoples?
          Why would you not put it on a switched power supply?
          Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

hhmm have you had any problems with doing that (putting it on a switched power supply?). What did you do, just cut the wire that goes between the plug in the inverter and the plug in the soundcard? (That's only like 9Vdc along that line right? Not too keen for electricution). Is there generally any problems with using an inverter for the power side of things when it comes to an external sound card or do inverters mainly cause problems when used for the real guts of the PC? (I have a pure sine wave inverter handy...). BTW - i'm assuming you're using this sound card based on your signature. Cheers, Bryce.

Comment

i have the audigy 2 NX. I power it off the 5V rail on my PSU. Its only supplying power when the PSU/computer is on. So the answer to your question is no.
              G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by blazinlow View Post
                i have the audigy 2 NX. I power it off the 5V rail on my PSU. Its only supplying power when the PSU/computer is on. So the answer to your question is no.

Ok, so it uses 5 volt power and not 9 volt power? From the pictures i'm looking at on the creative website it looks as though it comes with a 240/120 volt adapter for the wall socket... Are you saying what you did is just chop the cord for the wall socket adapter and connect that up to the 5 volt rail on your PSU and run it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Brycestro View Post
                  Ok, so it uses 5 volt power and not 9 volt power? From the pictures i'm looking at on the creative website it looks as though it comes with a 240/120 volt adapter for the wall socket... Are you saying what you did is just chop the cord for the wall socket adapter and connect that up to the 5 volt rail on your PSU and run it that way?
                  Mine is 5V. I dont know if they changed the design to 9V, probably not. I went to radio shack and bought a DC power jack that fits the Audigy. I soldered the 2 wires and on the other side is the molex type connector that plugs right into the power supply connectors. My power original cord is still completely intact.

5V clearly labeled

G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Excellent, thank you very much . The creative site doesn't show it up that close and i couldn't tell whether it said 9 volt or 5 volt. Oh well, looks like i may end up using this sound card after all. Just out of curiousity, you don't happen to know the current draw of it by chance do you? If not i'll do some digging and find the answer. Cheers, Bryce.

Comment

the power supply for home says

Output: 5V --- 1.5A

Comment

excellent, all sorted

Comment

Working...
                        X