Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with connection conundrum (again)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with connection conundrum (again)

Sorry if you have seen this post before, a moderator deleted it by accident and it hasn't reappeared yet, so here goes

Need to connect pc to standard Tevion head unit. No inputs, amplifier out.

CD, SD and usb in (takes mass storage device, don't know max capacity)

Is there any way of using the usb port as a line in. I am planning on replacing the head unit eventually as soon as one comes up. I have a small fm transmitter as a last resort.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Current setup is laptop pc ad media engine, motorised dash screen. Want to build a voompc into the floor of a citroen berlingo

Originally posted by dcmarsh View Post
    Sorry if you have seen this post before, a moderator deleted it by accident and it hasn't reappeared yet, so here goes

Need to connect pc to standard Tevion head unit. No inputs, amplifier out.

CD, SD and usb in (takes mass storage device, don't know max capacity)

Is there any way of using the usb port as a line in. I am planning on replacing the head unit eventually as soon as one comes up. I have a small fm transmitter as a last resort.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Current setup is laptop pc ad media engine, motorised dash screen. Want to build a voompc into the floor of a citroen berlingo
    usually no you cannot use the USB in as a line in unless that feature is explicitly defined as a feature. There are some that are able to do this, but they are expensive. My guess is no.

Don't you have any aux in or anything? Maybe a wired direct connect FM modulator would be better as a last resort because it will be as clear as a never going away FM station...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Nope, no auxillary's at all

nope, there's no auxillary inputs whatsoever. Unit was a cheapie one.

Bummer though, really didn't want to have to add a modulator as I'd have to find yet another 12v line to use.

May just have to use transmitter for the time being.

Any idea's if they can be hacked ala camcorder firewire dv in/out

any other idea's? Don't want to fork out yet until the pc is built/in.

voompc - 2gb compact flash/ewf/horm/12 sec startup whoooo
      at least that's what I'm getting from the laptop, 1gb of RAM helps!

Comment

get a different cheapie. Really. You can get cheap units with inputs for like $40.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

No cd-changer input even?
          Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
          CLARION HX-D2
          CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
          CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
          CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
            get a different cheapie. Really. You can get cheap units with inputs for like $40.
            I'm in the UK, Where? I want one

best I can find with mp3 support is 50 ($100 ish) and they only come up really rarely

for uk buyers, Aldi and Netto's are the (slightly odd) places to look but they only come up occasionally).

No, no cd changer inputs.

Comment

why do you need mp3 support?! That is what the computer does. And $40 is for something from a local shop. So I figured cheaper on ebay. After I get off work, I will find one....

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.fr/AUTORADIO-TEVION-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is what I found on the HU, and it has cd-changer input. So it's probably possible to convert that to an auxiliary input.

edit: 2k1, it's in french, so maybe you could translate? (my french isn't good enough for that)
                Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
                CLARION HX-D2
                CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
                CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
                CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

+1 on finding something new. If you can afford the CAR PC install, you should at least support it with something for now. If you cant, use the MF modulator until it drives you crazy and you buy a better unit.
                  Mike M
                  2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

use the fm transmitter for now... don't waste money if you can already make it work... since you know you will be upgrading soon it doesn't really matter.

just wait...

Comment

Cheers everybody

You guys rock, I owe you a beer

Okay, the only reason I like mp3 support is because of the sheer convenience of being able to to put the radio on and have larger collection and choice of instant music than a cd, plus I got one cheap. It also means that I don't have to reveal my screen which is good for security purposes (I work in a secondary school and the kids would have it, whether they new what it was or not). At the moment my laptop isn't permanently mounted either. It's just plugged in when gps is needed. I'm really looking forward to getting the pc in permanently.

I know this isn't really the right forum but does anybody know of a decent internal wifi or TV antenna, or does a combo one exist. Can't find any UK suppliers

I think, at the moment I'll use the little fm thing until I can get a new headunit. It's reasonable sound wise till you hit a pirate station or a city, it just eats batteries!

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                      in a "local shop" around here a head unit at that price with that spec is a hot buy in more ways than one There's laws about handling stolen goods!!

Comment

Iv'e found one

just to let you know. Iv'e found one.
                        Igot sick of changing batteries in the transmitter

Watch out for Tevion stuff.

Brand new 40 ($20 give or take)

Mp3
                        Fm
                        remote control
                        Graphic equaliser
                        SD slot (great for podcasting)
                        USB slot, you can chuck in a memory stick and it'll play music off it
                        and 3.5mm Aux in.

Had to install a GLI to kill some noise but really good. Thanks very much for all your advice

Comment

Working...
                        X