Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loookin for a beefy 10in woofer to give JL a run for its money!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loookin for a beefy 10in woofer to give JL a run for its money!

Hey all whats up! This is my first time on this site and I must say this a pretty tight site. Seems like you guys know your stuff, soo hopefully you guys can help me decide what to do...

I'm looking for a single 10" woofer that will give me both awesome SPL and awesome SQ. My old sub was a ported 12in JLw6v2 that I had bought off a friend for cheap, so its gota be able to give JL a run for its money and thensome. I listen to rap/hiphop, country, dance/techno and some rockish music. I would like to stay under $250. I dont want to be dissapointed with what I get, so any suggestions/oppinions would be awesome!

What amp are you using? I'm not sure you'll get a better sub for under $250. I think the JL 12w6v2 is one of the better subs out there. It may be a number of things causing you to not get the full potential, including enclosure, firing direction, amplification, etc. We need more info...
    Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
    Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
    I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
    Please help.

Comment

I have a 600watt mono PG amp, but I could sell it to get a 800watt to 1,000watts. I had my JL in a custom built ported box to the specs online at the JL site. I know there is alot better out there for the money than JL... and If I cant get what I'm lookin for outa a single sub... then maybe I can do two good subs? I'd up my budget to 350 for two good 10's if that'd be a better idea.

Comment

why dont you want the 12 anymore?
        i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Originally posted by kujo View Post
          I know there is alot better out there for the money than JL... .

I'm not trying to be difficult here, I don't want to come across the wrong way. But if you really know that there is better out there for the money, then why are you asking us? It would seem to me that the question you are asking would suggest that you are not aware of any subs that are better for your budget.

Better is a relative term. You may think louder is better, I happen to think that there a requisite amount of clarity and quality in order to qualify as better. There are a host of very good woofers out there for the money. But are they better? Depends only on your ears.

Check out Image Dynamics and Elemental Designs. Maybe a used Adire. I'm guessing youi are looking for something louder, not more quality...

Please help.

Comment

I loved my 12, but I'm in need of more space. Soon I'm going to be moving to a big city from my small town, soo I kinda want a more compact setup. And since I'm a ported guy, I'm going to custom build a "bazookatube" like enclosure outa fiber glass so I still have my sub ported, but take up less space.

As for the sub its self... I've seen many forums that argue JL is too expensive for what it is and there are plently of subs out there that offer more SPL and SQ. I've been recomended brands like Treo, Soundsplinter, TC Sounds, FI audio, and Stereo Integrety, but I've never gotten a sure recomendation to sway me one way or another... sooo I'm just tryin to get as much advice as I can before I buy a sub.

Comment

I would go with a 10'' Fi Q.

I believe retail is about $260 on them.

They handle 1000W RMS and come in dual-1 or dual-2 ohm voice coil configurations. They should get loud in a ported box and sound good doing it.

Comment

Im kinda leanin towards an FI sub. I was kinda sketchy because I had never heard of them before, but then I started noticing that alot of forums had people saying nothing but good things about the FI subs. Have you heard of Stereo Integrity BM? I got a few recomendations on that as well.

Comment

There is more involved in your particular dilemma than just buying a "better" sub than a W6v2. You need to figure out what space you are willing to sacrifice and then plan your sub enclosure accordingly. For instance, if you are only willing to give up 1.0 ft^3 of your trunk for a sub setup, then you wouldn't want to go out and buy 2 Kicker 12s or 4 RF 10s. They just would not perform well and you would not be satisfied with the results. Another thing to consider is the fact that vented enclosures are generally larger than an equivalent sealed enclosure. If you are concerned about taking up space, you may want to re-think your choice of a vented enclosure setup. Another alternative would be an isobaric setup, which usually cuts the standard enclosure volume of a single woofer in half. These types of setups are excellent for small spaces, but are generally not as efficient. However, the use of two woofers versus one would allow you more options for wiring, thus allowing you to provide double the power over just a single-woofer setup.
                  As for woofer choices, I am a big fan of JL. I have used them for years and have never been dissatisfied. They are, however, very expensive in comparison to other choices which may mean that you can find a competitive woofer for less money. Try checking out Elemental Designs. Although I have not had any personal experience with their products, I have heard MANY good things and their tech. staff is excellent. If you have any questions about their gear, give them a call and ask for Chris (Mandos).
                  True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
                  -Socrates

Comment

Haven't heard of them, but I've seen Fi in action several times and I'm ordering a Fi Q 15'' in a couple days. People say nothing but good things about Fi for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by kujo View Post
                      I'm looking for a single 10" woofer that will give me both awesome SPL and awesome SQ.
                      Oxymoron?

wait, not the right term, how about - Impossible to compromise with both.

As any idiot knows, SPL cant sound good, at least at the competition levels.
                      (All done)
                      iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki View Post
                        Oxymoron?

wait, not the right term, how about - Impossible to compromise with both.

As any idiot knows, SPL cant sound good, at least at the competition levels.
                        explain sql then
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Ugh, sound quality to me, means fidelity and separation of tones and melodies.

if you feel that you can get sound quality from a huge bass heavy farting woofer, then thats cool, i dont think that way though.

to each his own when it comes to SQ, but I still stand by my statement that you cant have both SQ and SPL at competition levels.
                          (All done)
                          iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki View Post
                            Ugh, sound quality to me, means fidelity and separation of tones and melodies.

if you feel that you can get sound quality from a huge bass heavy farting woofer, then thats cool, i dont think that way though.

to each his own when it comes to SQ, but I still stand by my statement that you cant have both SQ and SPL at competition levels.
                            There is only one problem with that argument....Subwoofers do not play melodies, and even if you ran a melody through a sub, it would be impossible to expect you ears to percieve the pitch Changes (defining charactoristic of melody). In short, you must find some other way to judge sound quality from a subwoofer, what you are referring to simply is not the subwoofers job, rather than that of the front stage speakers. It would be like saying Tom Brady is not a good passer because he simply cannot pick up a block. Its just not a fair assesment.

Now, I think you are on the right track w./ the heavy farting woofer not being SQ, but again its unfair to presuppose that just because a woofer is larger and accomodates higher power, that it cannot play accurately and (most important in my eyes) provide good transient response. They are out there. Especially with a little environmental manipulation, it can be done.

Please help.

Comment

i'm totally inexperienced with the vast array of subwoofers out there, but i had space constraints for mine and went with the DLS MW110 (http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/mw110.htm). I love it; it cost $180. I would have loved to fit their top of the line 10" though, but it's too deep for my car (http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/NO10.htm). Good stuff IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X