2 channel amp 4 speakers? Possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 channel amp 4 speakers? Possible?

Haha well I just upgraded my front components powered by a kickerzx200.2 and now I want upgraded rears, (bad timing i know) is it possible to just run aftermarket speakers(2) and plug them into each channel? and still maintain decent sound overall? i know i should just buy a 4 channel amp but im cheap haha thanks

You could attach the rear speakers to the amp in series with your front (Front right/positive and back right/positive connected to the right/positive terminal on the amp, front right/negative connected and back right/negative conntcted to right/negative terminal on amp, ect.). But with this you wont have the feature of fading between the front and back speakers. For more help just search for wireing diagrams on the internet.

Comment

You can only do that safely if the amp is 2ohm stable...

Do you have a powered headunit? Like an amplified head unit that says 35x4 or somthing? IF so, run your rears off that. Its about perfect for rear fill anyway. You don't want to give your rears = power as your fronts for optimum sound anyway. SOme people swear rear speakers are the devil. I like them, always thought they give best imaging and staging. But I underpower them compared to the main stage.
      Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
      Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
      I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
      Please help.

Comment

well my amp is 2 ohm stable, Mike if i wired it like the way u say can u explain to me what ohms i would be running and how much my 200 watts would be split between 4 speakers? Thanks alot for the help

Comment

What impedence are your speakers? You won't know what load your amp will see until you know what the resistence of your speakers will be.
          Its not the cards you're dealt, its how you play the hand!

Originally posted by ryuandwings
          Where can I get a roll of tin foil?
          I been looking for that all over the net, but I can't find it.
          Please help.

Comment

Your speakers should be either 2 or 4 ohms if you wire two 2 ohm speakers in parallel it is the equivilent of 1 ohm which may be a little much for some amps so you may need to wire them in series to make it 4 ohms.

Here is a good website that explains series and parallel wireing with speakers: Series Vs. Parallel Wiring

Comment

oh sorry my speakers are all 4 ohm

Comment

Well that amp is rated for 2Ohm 100w x 2ch, so the easiest thing to do is wire the rear speakers in parallel with the fronts.

Manual for reference: http://www.kicker.uk.com/pdf/zxAmpli...0c01%20WEB.pdf

Comment

Yes you can do it, but the front and rear speakers might be the same model, cause if they are dif, the little one, could be damage cause it will handle less, and the power wont be equal shared.
                  Design [000000000-]90%
                  Parts [000-------]30%
                  Installation[----------]0%
                  Integration[000-------]30%

Comment

so i wire it like mike said?

(Front right/positive and back right/positive connected to the right/positive terminal on the amp, front right/negative connected and back right/negative conntcted to right/negative terminal on amp, ect.)

with a zx200 how much power would be given to each speaker(4)? Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Originally posted by xxMIKExx View Post
                      You could attach the rear speakers to the amp in series with your front (Front right/positive and back right/positive connected to the right/positive terminal on the amp, front right/negative connected and back right/negative conntcted to right/negative terminal on amp, ect.). But with this you wont have the feature of fading between the front and back speakers. For more help just search for wireing diagrams on the internet.
                      That's parallel wiring...
                      -ZtH01
                      "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

ZtH01 is correct, xxMIKExx showed an example of parallel wiring. But, it is still what you would do in this case.

NightBlade, you would wire it that way, yes. According to the specs for the amp it's rated at 100w x 2 in that configuration, so in theory you would be putting up to 100w RMS to each speaker (I think that's how that works)

Comment

i thought i was putting 100 rms to each speaker now with 2? wiring another 2 to parallel would still keep it at 100 rms each? with 4 speakers now?

Comment

Originally posted by NightBlade329 View Post
                            i thought i was putting 100 rms to each speaker now with 2? wiring another 2 to parallel would still keep it at 100 rms each? with 4 speakers now?

That's correct. At any given setting on the volume knob you will also draw twice the current from your alternator/battery and the amp will run hotter. Car amplifiers (within reason) act like constant voltages sources. Running speakers in parallel means they each see the same voltage. To accomplish that the amp draws twice the current.

Comment

Originally posted by NightBlade329 View Post
                              If the speakers currently connected to the amp are 4 Ohm speakers then they're currently recieving a max of 70watts, according to the manual

Comment

Working...
                              X