problem with trunk rattle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with trunk rattle

When my subs hit, my trunk rattles like a vibrator. Ive tried to adjust the rubber clips, but their not adjustable.

Any suggestions?

I gotta ask... How do you know what a vibrator sounds like?

Seriously... I'd think you would need to pinpoint the rattle(s) and take steps to dampen whatever is vibrating.

That or take the vibrator out of your trunk!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      I gotta ask... How do you know what a vibrator sounds like?
      I don't care who ya are that ther iz funny.

you could always just drive with the trunk open and then it will do away with most of the rattle!
      Aron
      New Ipad
      Zapco DSP-6SL
      Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
      Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
      Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

vibration is almost inevitible, that's how sound is made. dampening the sound is the only way to get rid of the rattle. For my set-up I have a trunk pop motor that is rattling the hell out of my trunk. How did I find it, i got my @$$ in the trunk, and looked. Started touching things on the trunk lid, and found the motor was not just loose but designed to be that way. Dampened the sound with dynamat extreme. There's a little vibration left, but it's something I can live with.

Dumb question though:

Why do you care if your trunk rattles, when are you listening to your subs outside the car?
        2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
        Car PC Progress:
        Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
        Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
        Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
        RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
        View my
        Worklog
        Road Runner Skins
        Website
        Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

Dont worry about the vibrator

And i care about it because when i drive by people.. they hear bass.. then when i get near them, all they hear is my trunk ratteling.

Comment

Ok, so what?

(I know it's a moot point though, because with proper damping comes better sound, and that's why I did dynamat.)

In theory, the other drivers should have to pay for the convenience of not having to hear the trunk rattle, rather than you spending a couple hundred for a dynamat trunk kit. (and time to install it)

If it's only to prevent the rattle, isolate it by looking in the trunk. with it closed and speakers pumping, press on different parts of the trunk and see what's making noise. sometimes it's the tail light just a little loose, or the license plate flapping away. simple fixes.

If you want to get better sound isolation out of the subs themselves, completely dampen the trunk with dynamat and that may in itself fix the rattle.
            2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
            Car PC Progress:
            Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
            Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
            Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
            RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
            View my
            Worklog
            Road Runner Skins
            Website
            Favorite thread EVER!

Comment

A combo of dampening and closed cell faom (ensolite) will work. You have to first determine what is rattling, then figure out if making it's one sound or rattling against something else. If it's making sound on its own (vibrating) then dynmat or similar material, if its rattling against another object, use closed cell foam or ensolite. Most of the time it's just your liscense plate.
              System always under construction

Comment

Working...
              X