Just what exactly is solobaric?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what exactly is solobaric?

I am very confused...just what does it mean. And what makes them special?

There a couple of advantages to it, although it's not really used too much anymore. It was popular when you didn't have the room to build large boxes to house more than one sub. Most subs today that are designed to go into a sealed box allow you to build a box with smaller airspace than before.

Linky

Isobaric loading is usually used when space is at a minimum or a maximum number of woofers wish to be used in a certain volume of space.

Advantages of this design are increased linearity in the speaker movement, lower space requirements, and increased power handling.
    Disadvantages are increased cost, increased design and assembly complexity, and decreased efficiency.
    System always under construction

Comment

I just realized, are you asking about kicker solobaric subs or an isobaric sub box? They are completely different. My above post is about isobaric boxes. Solobaric is a model of Kicker subs that is square in shape, not round. Not much else to say about them.

Comment

oh ok then XD haha

Comment

they used to be round I cant remember but wernt the round solobarics more SQ oriented?
          Aron
          New Ipad
          Zapco DSP-6SL
          Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
          Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
          Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

yes, they sure were.

the new square subs are nothing more than a marketing ploy.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The selling points of the Solobarics were twofold. First, the name is a play on isobaric, that one supposedly puts the same SPL as two subs in an isobaric configuration. The other is that they require a very small (sealed) box. The latter is the reason why I bought an 8" Solobaric sub for my truck several years ago when they were still round -- I wanted to still have space in my extended cab. I use it as the sub for my gaming computer now. :-) I've always been happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                yes, they sure were.

the new square subs are nothing more than a marketing ploy.

what are you talking about marketing ploy? more square inches of cone area than a round sub of the same measurement, wich translates to the sub pushing more air, less wear and tear on the surrounds. Xtant coming out with the octagon, subs was a marketing ploy, kicker strayed away from the norm. and upon doing so, found something that works, may not be enough to justify everyone switching to square subs, but it still has pluses.
                Also, kicker has since whent a different route since changing to square subs, they are no longer for the space saving sealed box crowd. solobarics, whether it be L7, or L5, love big ported boxes actually, most people with experience with them will tell you 3.25 cubes, ported, tuned to around 33hz is the sweet spot for solobaric 12's
                1997 grand am GT BLACK ON BLACK!!
                Alpine IVA-C800
                Alpine DVA-5205
                Kicker KX3 crossover
                Kicker DS 650.2
                Kicker DS 525
                Kicker KX200.4
                Kicker KX400.1
                Kicker 12 L7 dual 4
                2.75 cubes tuned to 27 ish

Comment

the benefit was not enough to warrant the design, thus a marketing ploy.
                  Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

still, i dont understand, there is a benefit, they didnt sky rocket there prices because of the design, and last i checked, they are selling like crazy. a solobaric 12" has more square inches of cone area than a round 12", same with 8's, 10's 15's and yes even 18's, for someone looking for SPL, that alone is a huge selling factor.

going back to them being space savers, they are not, but for someone who doesnt have 6 cubes to run 2 12's, they can get an L5 or L7, have more cone area than 1 12, without having to run something smaller, and still have space left over.

if it was a marketing ploy, than why didnt kicker do it to the cvr's or cvx's? because the added cone area, and re-designed spider benefits 1 person more than others, SPL guys who want to push more air in the space they have.... period... the solobarics, and solo-x's are purpose built for that. read kickers early reviews when they first came out with the solobarics, all the hype was about the increased cone area and how they push more air than a standard sub of the same size. not, ooohh look, we made a square sub, by our stuff because it looks cool, being square does absolutely nothing but look different, there is absolutely no beneffit to being square.

Also, if it was just a marketing ploy, then why are solobarics still selling like crazy, because what they did works, and real car audio guys, who know what they want by them because of what they are, subs that move alot of air. you think adding giant magnets and rare earth metal magnets, or huge surrounds, or FI offering cooling for the voice coil on there BTL line, you think those are all marketing ploys??? They are not, they are functional, and they work.

scenario, same amps, same box dimensions, same test tones, solobaric whatever size, verses standard round sub of the same size. In pure SPL, the solobaric will move more air than the round sub 99% of the time, may sound like a55 on music but again, it does what its supposed to do, moves air well.
                    1997 grand am GT BLACK ON BLACK!!
                    Alpine IVA-C800
                    Alpine DVA-5205
                    Kicker KX3 crossover
                    Kicker DS 650.2
                    Kicker DS 525
                    Kicker KX200.4
                    Kicker KX400.1
                    Kicker 12 L7 dual 4
                    2.75 cubes tuned to 27 ish

Comment

there is more to a speaker than just acting like a piston to move some air. Some people are also concerned about how it moves the air. Every sub serves it's purpose. The Solobaric sub is one of the most bloated, sloppy, un-natural sounding subs I have ever heard. It was designed for nothing more than spl, then came the soloX-the monster of all solobarics. There are plenty of other subs out there that fit into an even smaller airspace then the solobaric. I can name a few 12" subs that are designed to work in a box <0.5cu ft. So, you could take 2 of those subs that fit in 0.5 vs 1 solobaric in 1cuft.

I'm agreeing with RED- It was marketing ploy. Sure they still sell it, it has it's purpose, but things have moved on.

JL audio has a marketing ploy-it's called the W7-it's supposed to JL's bread and butter-everyone assumed it would be great for spl, some thought it was an SQ sub. Notice though how they also use the W7 for the home theater subs, and you will see the W6 is geared more for SQ. The W7 isn't even made for spl, it's designed to go low, very low, but it does not work as an SQ sub.

Other marketing ploys:
                      PPI was the first to have a flat cone woofer-now I think elemental designs uses one, but not any other companies.
                      PPI had a 32" sub at one point
                      Blaupunkt came out with a shallow mount sub that other companies copied

Right now,current day the gimic/marketing ploy is subs with massive excursion, terrible efficiency, and fit into small boxes.

I'm going to finish by saying every sub has it purpose. What that purpose is depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Marketing ploy = gimmick that helps you sell a lot of something. Kicker's marketing ploy worked.

If the square design is so good, why haven't other companies copied the design? Because it's not that good.

I've been happy with my 8" round Solobaric, but I'll admit at the time I bought it I didn't know much about car audio and it fit my requirement (smallish box) and the Magnolia Hifi salesperson's as well.

Comment

Actually a few companies did copy there cone design, but guess what? It was flea market brands that had little or no reputation. Give it time, the square sub will fade away eventually.

I also remember some companies that came out with a triangluar sub. As well that did not stick around.

Comment

If you want to look at the design of a speaker with the eye on physics then a speaker cone should be round. It is optimal for the cone to be equidistant from the voice coil to the surround all the way around the cone.

The flat cone from elemental designs is their shallow mount 10". The rest of their speakers now have an inverted dust cap.

The first Solobarics were built for use in very small sealed boxes. I think what made this different from the standard kicker comp sub was that the solobaric had a heavier cone to simulate 2 subs mounted face to face in an isobaric arrangement.

The square solobarics are just marketing crap.

Comment

Bazoooooooooooooooooooka...

Just because it's a sub and it plays music doesn't mean it's not a marketing ploy.

I have to agree 100% with crooper:

arketing ploy = gimmick that helps you sell a lot of something. Kicker's marketing ploy worked.
                              And I agree 100% with durwood. When the square sub came out, everyone moved to it for SPL, then there was a mass defect away from it...funny, isn't it?

Same with the JL subs...there's a reason we went with 2 12w6v2s over a W7 in the GTi the first year out.
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X