Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Install an Amp in a 2001 VW New Beetle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Install an Amp in a 2001 VW New Beetle?

Hello everyone, I have a 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle, and I want to install an amp in it. I don't want to change the factory stereo, the only thing I want to do is to install the amp and a subwoofer. I am real noob about this because I just bought this car, and I will start a transformation. Sound will be the first transformation, but I do not have a clue on how to do this, I appreciate any help you guys can provide, Thanks!

---------------------------------------

I was looking in other websites, and I found out that I have to connect the power cord to the positive side of the battery. Now my question is How do I take this power cord from the outside to the inside??? I guess I need to make a hole or something but im not sure about this, if someone knows a better trick please let me know.
    Der Kafer

No offense or anything but it looks as though from your lack of knowledge on the subject that you may be way in over your head. You may be better off paying a professional to do the work involved. I only suggest this because specific tools and knowledge will be necessary to complete the job properly. Especially if you are saying that you want to use this with your factory headunit.
    Besides that, this web-forum is dedicated to the integration of computers in to ones car. Although this forum does have a sub-forum titled "Car Audio", this sub-forum is still geared toward the CarPc's audio systems.

If you were so inclined to continue to attempt your own install, and gain more experiance in such a project, there are many other websites that may offer you more information. But keep in mind that because you may have limited experiance, somethings may not be as easily explained or understood as well as you'd like. Also you may cause more damage to your car while attempting such a project than you would like to accept.
    The possibilities for you are endless
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

If you don't know how to get power from your battery to your amp... you'd be better off paying someone else to do this for you, or searching out a friend that has the necessary experience. It's not something you want to trial and error. Batteries explode, shorts could cause fires, and other bad things could happen I'm sure.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Oh.. well, Ill listend to you guys and pay someone else to do it, thanks anyway!
        Der Kafer

Comment

You don't need someone else to do it... Eveyone here has at one point been in your shoes, and did not know what they should be doing at all. If you're willing to just take your time, do a lot of reading, and research, then you'll be fine and can do all of this on your own...

2006 Mazda 3
          Behringer DCX-2496
          JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
          JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Originally posted by pancit175 View Post
            No offense or anything but it looks as though from your lack of knowledge on the subject that you may be way in over your head. You may be better off paying a professional to do the work involved. I only suggest this because specific tools and knowledge will be necessary to complete the job properly. Especially if you are saying that you want to use this with your factory headunit.
            Besides that, this web-forum is dedicated to the integration of computers in to ones car. Although this forum does have a sub-forum titled "Car Audio", this sub-forum is still geared toward the CarPc's audio systems.

If you were so inclined to continue to attempt your own install, and gain more experiance in such a project, there are many other websites that may offer you more information. But keep in mind that because you may have limited experiance, somethings may not be as easily explained or understood as well as you'd like. Also you may cause more damage to your car while attempting such a project than you would like to accept.
            The possibilities are endless

I didnt feel offended at all, it may be something way in over YOUR head. Installing an Amp is not a rocket launch come on, I am just trying to find a secure spot to run the cable in the inside of the car, thats it. It may be something difficult for you, not for me, Im not retarded. A professional may mess the work I am now doing in my car, so I'd rather do it myself, my way. I'd better ask for help to ppl from my country if I have some concerns, don't u think so? I mean, is this the kind of help you recieve when you come friendly to a forum looking for more opinions? I dont know who you are, but you make an AMP installation as something that can be only done for "The Most Intelligents Humans on Earth" LOL.......................... :S
            Der Kafer

Comment

I totally understand where you are coming from, but dont get me wrong I'm not trying to startup a flame war. I just wanted to get a point across and put up the disclaimer that what may come easy for some may be difficult for others. I've learned this by interacting with my customers who have attempted their own installs, most of which I would consider an easy job, but after they have their go at it and failed, they end up paying me to fix everything. I'm sure many people in this industry will back me up about this. I dont know your experiance level, and some things may not be as easy to explain than it is to be shown. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. Its because I am familiar with the work that needs to be done I know that if you had limited experiance it may cause you more trouble than you may think it was worth. And if I was didnt know what I was doing or didnt know anything about the subject, then I know that I would not have any right to post up anything. And If you had the experiance or the skills to the the job, then you wouldnt have had the need to ask such a basic question.
              "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki

PROGRESS:

Comment

Originally posted by Der_Kafer View Post
                I didnt feel offended at all, it may be something way in over YOUR head. Installing an Amp is not a rocket launch come on, I am just trying to find a secure spot to run the cable in the inside of the car, thats it. It may be something difficult for you, not for me, Im not retarded. A professional may mess the work I am now doing in my car, so I'd rather do it myself, my way. I'd better ask for help to ppl from my country if I have some concerns, don't u think so? I mean, is this the kind of help you recieve when you come friendly to a forum looking for more opinions? I dont know who you are, but you make an AMP installation as something that can be only done for "The Most Intelligents Humans on Earth" LOL.......................... :S
                ...relax, I love how your first sentance is "I didn't feel offended at all", then everything after that was talking about how you were basicially. Now, I feel that most people can do it, but it takes time and research, if you're not going to educate yourself, you'll mess it up, simple as that. He was just lettingyou know the risks, no reason to think he was calling your a retard.

2006 Mazda 3
                Behringer DCX-2496
                JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Ya know, I really appreciate this thread. Too many newbies get upset and angry when it's pointed out that they don't know what they're doing and how that lack of knowledge has potential consequences to expensive equipment, their vehicle, and potentially their health and even life.

Too many times the people who do know a thing or three about this hobby, particularly wiring up the electicals in the vehicle, get new members to do some research and reading and learn what it is they are doing, they get ****ed off and start whining that someone should just give them the answer. When you're dealing with electical systems, you need an understanding of what it is you're doing and why, or at least some basic knowledge.

I'm no expert. I've learned about the car electricals from this and other informational forums (the12volt, mostly), as well as advice from other members, most of whom I consider friends. Am I knowledgable enough to open up a shop and do this for a living? Not at all. But I can damn sure help a friend wire up an amplifier if I want.

My point is that members who don't take offense at someone telling they need to either learn how to do it properly or have someone else who knows how to do it properly are a refreshing change. It's apparent that there's a level-headed attitude about you. For that, you earn major kudos in my book. Understanding your limitations and working around those is a key to success.

Good luck with your project!
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Help me out here... I forget....

This is important to me, err, how?

You mean the whole point of this forum is to get in your book? Wow missed that one.

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                    Ya know, I really appreciate this thread.
                    Too many newbies get upset and angry when it's pointed out that they don't know what they're doing and how that lack of knowledge has potential consequences to expensive equipment, their vehicle, and potentially their health and even life.

Too many times the people who do know a thing or three about this hobby, particularly wiring up the electicals in the vehicle, get new members to do some research and reading and learn what it is they are doing, they get ****ed off and start whining that someone should just give them the answer. When you're dealing with electical systems, you need an understanding of what it is you're doing and why, or at least some basic knowledge.

I'm no expert. I've learned about the car electricals from this and other informational forums (the12volt, mostly), as well as advice from other members, most of whom I consider friends. Am I knowledgable enough to open up a shop and do this for a living? Not at all. But I can damn sure help a friend wire up an amplifier if I want.

My point is that members who don't take offense at someone telling they need to either learn how to do it properly or have someone else who knows how to do it properly are a refreshing change. It's apparent that there's a level-headed attitude about you. For that, you earn major kudos in my book. Understanding your limitations and working around those is a key to success.

Good luck with your project!
                    DigitalFX4.0 Skin by JohnWPB

Road Runner RR's Myspace

My Ride - Car Domain Page -JWLionKing's MySpace Page

Project 98% Complete -FREE DOMAIN & WEBSPACE / FILE HOST FOR DEVELOPERS - PM ME

Comment

Originally posted by jwlionking View Post
                      Help me out here... I forget....

This is important to me, err, how?

You mean the whole point of this forum is to get in your book? Wow missed that one.

Wow... I guess you have no idea how much that means coming from DP. You are a newbie. Welcome welcome, and stick around, it really is fun around here... most of the time.

EDIT: 54 posts in 2 years?

I'd give my left nut to have kudos in DP's book...
                      Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Wow you spend way too much time on a message board.

There is MORE to life then how many posts you can get to your name.
                        DigitalFX4.0 Skin by JohnWPB

Road Runner RR's Myspace

My Ride - Car Domain Page -JWLionKing's MySpace Page

Project 98% Complete -FREE DOMAIN & WEBSPACE / FILE HOST FOR DEVELOPERS - PM ME

Comment

There Is?

PROGRESS:

Comment

Originally posted by jwlionking View Post
                            Wow you spend way too much time on a message board.

There is MORE to life then how many posts you can get to your name.
                            Are you serious?

Hmm... he is not one of us...
                            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

what is this "life" you speak of, I've read of no such things on my message boards, so surely it does not exist.

2006 Mazda 3
                              Behringer DCX-2496
                              JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Working...
                              X