Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexus Amp/Sub Wiring

Hello,

I own a 95 Lexus LS400. Now, I have an amazing sound system (Nakamichi option) with a stock sub. I'm happy with everything, but I just want a little bit more bass.

I know the headunit has outputs for sub + and -, and they go to the amplifier under the passenger seat.

So far I have 2 12" subs, but no amps yet. Where do I get the signal(s) (don't know which or how many) that will run to the trunk? I've heard of some people just patching into wires and extending them, and I've heard of people adding some converters... which is the right way? If I just grab the + and - signals from the back of the headunit and plug them into the new amp, would that work?

Once I get the signal wires and power wire to the trunk, I assume it's pretty straight forward.

Another thing, I'm not sure if I still want to use my stock sub, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks

You only need 3 essentials to go into your amp:
    Power (from battery)
    IGN cable (from head unit)
    RCA stereo cable (from the headunit, using the + and - you are talking about)
    New Sub: Depends on $. For around 100 I would go with an alpine perfect 12" dual coil. For $200, Pioneer Premier all the way (you'll need a new amp tho...)
    CarPC: 100%
    Software: 100%
    Amps/Subs: 0% (on hold)
    Fabrication: Need help!!! Someone in Boston area who can help me with this please send me a PM.

Comment

I will be using an amp dedicated to the sub.

The thing is, some people say if I just take the + and - from the back of the headunit, it won't work. They say i should tap into the wires at the sub and use a hi to low converter to get rca connectors.

Is there a difference between tapping it before or after the amp?

Thanks

Comment

There should be a stereo cable going from the back of your head unit to the amp. If you are trying to plug the wires from the back of the head unit to the sub, DON'T DO IT!!! Think about it: how many watts can your head unit output compared to the amp? Not nearly as many. I'm not sure if this is what you were trying to do... All you need is two sets of RCA cables and some should go from the back of the head unit directly to the sub. Give it a try
        CarPC: 100%
        Software: 100%
        Amps/Subs: 0% (on hold)
        Fabrication: Need help!!! Someone in Boston area who can help me with this please send me a PM.

Comment

Working...
        X