optical to RCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optical to RCA

So I bought a new volvo s40 with the normal audio system thinking that Ill just upgrade it myself with all my audio stuff from my old car.

Turns out the volvo runs fiber optic cables to mini amps in each door!

Why would anyone do this?!!

Is there an optical (digital) to RCA (analog) adapter I can use?

There is no adapter, you would need some sort of hardware that can convert the digital signal into an analog signal.

Why do you want to use the amps in the door? You can just pass some new wire to the speakers from your old car.

Comment

Wait what... No!

I have fiber optic out put from head unit. I want Rca output. I want to use my new head unit with fiber output to run my subs and amp which use Rca input.

For sure id need some hardware but which?

Comment

i know of spdif toslink to rca converters
        man i bet that factory digital sounds pretty good, are you trying to integrate a carputer?

Comment

I'm not sure if it's optic like you're thinking of.

It might be the MOST fiber optic communication system in many new cars today.

If it's the MOST system, a simple RCA to tos-link converter won't do a thing for you.

You need to double check that the fiber optic out that you have is in fact JUST a fiber optic signal for audio and not a bus for other communications.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The data network in the S40 consists of a high and a low speed CAN bus, a fiber-optic bus for Infotainment (MOST, Multimedia Oriented Systems Transport) and a number of local network on subordinate buses (LIN, Local Interconnect Network).

A data bus is the channel for transferring data (communication) between different units in a network.
            ****, most. Is there any hope?

Comment

There aren't any adapters avaliable for the MOST systems yet unfortunately.

The market has been hoping for it for a while now.
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
              X