Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help replacing stolen faceplate!

Hello mp3car forum users,

I need your help! I know very little about car stereos so please bear with me. If this is not the right sub-forum to post this question, please let me know as well.

I had an Aiwa cd-mp3 player. The (removable) faceplate was stolen after they broke into my car. What options are there for me to have a working system again, preferably at the lowest price?

I am trying to find the user manual to in order to find the model number. I bought it about 6-7 years ago from the Good Guys.

I moved this to car audio, you should find the exact model # & then hit ebay, these forums are going to be a longshot & with just the info you provided, no shot at all really.
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
      I moved this to car audio, you should find the exact model # & then hit ebay, these forums are going to be a longshot & with just the info you provided, no shot at all really.
      Thanks! I checked the Aiwa website they seem to only have a couple of mp3 models, but i can't be sure until i find the manual. Could be CDC-MP3.

In general are the faceplates interchangeable or does it have to be the same brand or exactly the same model #? (I know very little about these).

Also they didn't steal the remote control. Is there a way to use that or is the face plate needed?

Comment

You need the faceplate, and usually they are NOT interchangeable between models.

Here's the current 'Aiwa' listings on ebay Motors..http://motors.search.ebay.com/aiwa

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa View Post
          You need the faceplate, and usually they are NOT interchangeable between models.

Here's the current 'Aiwa' listings on ebay Motors..http://motors.search.ebay.com/aiwa
          Thanks for the info! Are there any places to check to make sure if I buy from a 3rd party they are not selling used ones? (it would be ironic if I bought back my own stolen face plate).

EDIT: The above should read "selling STOLEN ones" instead of "selling used ones".

Comment

Funny you should say that. Back when I used to install, my coworker had his radio stolen. A few weeks later it showed up at our store and this guy wanted it installed. He did a quick becnh check on the radio and told the guy if such and such CD popped out he had some explaining to do. Sure enough the cops were called-he didn't steal it, but they did catch the guy that did. You should have seen the guys face.
            System always under construction

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
              Funny you should say that. Back when I used to install, my coworker had his radio stolen. A few weeks later it showed up at our store and this guy wanted it installed. He did a quick becnh check on the radio and told the guy if such and such CD popped out he had some explaining to do. Sure enough the cops were called-he didn't steal it, but they did catch the guy that did. You should have seen the guys face.
              Wow so it did actually happen! Not just theoretical. Another local guy here told me "you may find it at the flea market" LOL.

Only problem is I don't know if I have the serial #. I'm trying to find the original receipt, maybe they printed the serial # there. Does the remaining piece in the car (not the face plate) have a serial # on it as well? Would that be the same as the face plate serial #? (Or do face plates have serial #s?)

Thanks!

Comment

usually the head has #'s, the face don't. so you found it?
                MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Unless its most eclipse models But that is a whole different story. Most of the time the face plate is almost as expensive as the radio itsself (Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, ECT.) to name a few. Id say to try to call Aiwa and see what they say if you cant find it on ebay.
                  Aron
                  New Ipad
                  Zapco DSP-6SL
                  Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
                  Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
                  Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

Is the head the whole thing that is in the dashboard? Do I have to take it out to find the serial #? I am not good at those type of things. Even if I get that #, will it help identify the face plate if it is recovered by the police?

Finding the receipt and user manual is going to be an excavation project. The casual digging around did not find them yet

I was also thinking, since electronics prices keep falling, it may be cheaper to just get a new one installed if I can't find one cheap or used. Do the car shops give you any credit if you let them keep the old one? Also, are there any pages/sites that I can quickly get up to speed on the different models out there and the price ranges? I know I can go through the various electronics websites, but I'm wondering if there's a shortcut

Thanks for all the answers :-)

Comment

Originally posted by boomintrac View Post
                      Unless its most eclipse models But that is a whole different story. Most of the time the face plate is almost as expensive as the radio itsself (Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, ECT.) to name a few. Id say to try to call Aiwa and see what they say if you cant find it on ebay.
                      Aron
                      Thanks! I haven't tried calling them yet, but I did look through their website and their links and it looks like they are not paying as much attention to it as they would sonystyle. One of the emails to the repair centers was returned undeliverable even. One of the supplier pages returned no results for aiwa.

Comment

Okay, I found both the manual and the receipt! The model number is CDC-MP3. The manual also has a Yu at the end of the name, not sure if that refers to the unit or the manual.

As far as the serial #, I am not sure if it's on the receipt, there is a 12-digit number that starts with 800.

The store I bought it from is long gone, so I can't get any more info from them :-( The extended service warranty company doesn't have serial # either

Comment

The serial number should also be on the box the unit came in.
                          Aron
                          New Ipad
                          Zapco DSP-6SL
                          Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
                          Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
                          Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

Originally posted by boomintrac View Post
                            The serial number should also be on the box the unit came in.
                            Aron
                            Thanks 1000 times! I totally forgot about the box! And sure enough after reading your post, I found the box sitting among all the other boxes I haven't thrown away (finally a benefit for keeping everything!).

And as you said, the serial # is on the box! There are four sets of numbers on the box, the first one starts with the model #CDC-MP3Yu... Each # has a bar code. The sticker also says "for customer use". Those are a combination of numbers and letters. So the number on the receipt is probably the 1-800 number of one of the companies involved, not a serial #.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and comments!!! I will be taking all the evidence to the police dept tomorrow!

Comment

I am back again! I have a couple more questions. The police did not know which one of the four numbers on the box was the serial #. I don't know either. How can I find out? Are there any places left with Aiwa fans that may know?

My second question, the head unit that remains in the car has a tiny red light that keeps blinking as a fake security device. Is that going to drain the car battery or is it safe to assume that is was designed to be very energy efficient?

Thanks once again!

Comment

Working...
                              X