Soundblaster USB and crossover functionality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundblaster USB and crossover functionality

Hello all. First of all this is a great forum and I have been reading almost incessantly since I found it. I have been heavily researching a new stereo for my car and have it all figured out except for the head unit. Long story short after realizing that none of them were quite what I wanted, I decided to go the car PC route with no HU

Here is what I am planning on using:
    1. Dell PIII-700 MHz laptop, Win XP, 30GB HDD, 512 MB RAM, with batteries. I'll use a DC-DC power supply and solder in a remote power button. I already have the lap top so it is a freebie.
    2. 7" touchscreen mounted in a double-DIN dash opening
    3. External USB (or firewire) soundcard with at least 5 channels of RCA outputs
    4. External multi-channel speaker amp, RCA inputs
    5. USB FM receiver

I also want DSP. I want to be able to output 3-way stereo to the amplifier (sub, low, high) using an active crossover. I also want to have an EQ (greater than 10 band) and time alignment. I have a 13 band EQ and time alignment (done in a Pioneer HU) in my other vehicle and really like the improvement in sound. I have considered a Pioneer HU solution, but the crossover frequencies are not flexible enough for my setup.

So my question is this. I've read the soundcard FAQs and read up on the KX Project drivers. I understand that the DSP can be done with KX (maybe not the 10+ band EQ) and a PCI based Soundblaster with no problem, and have read the examples on how to set it up. But, can I do all of the DSP using an external USB Soundblaster 5.1 Live like this one?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102174
    I read in some of the KX Project information that the drivers were not compatible with the USB soundblasters.

Also, it does not have to be a soundblaster per se, so other solutions are OK as long as they are USB or firewire, and have at least 5 channels of RCA outputs.

My primary goal is to have MP3 and AM/FM radio, with good SQ. I might add XM or Sirius later. I really do not need navigation, or a hands-free cell phone, or movie capability.

BTW if you guys hit me with a believe me I have looked but have not found the exact answer yet.

hey man, I moved this thread for you to the car audio section, you'll get more help here
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

I thought the whole BBS was car audio?

Comment

nah, the boards here are mainly carpc related, of course audio integration is part of it, hence the car audio section
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by ZX_Tex View Post
          I read in some of the KX Project information that the drivers were not compatible with the USB soundblasters.
          You answered your own question. The only way to do active with an external card is to go with a pro audio card and use the ASIO method. However, a pentium3 is probably going to be brought to it's knees.

Look in mp3car wiki- we have laid out alot of info for you regarding an active setup
          System always under construction

Comment

Thanks for the information. I just wanted to be sure the USB Soundblaster was still not an option with KX, in case that had changed, before I ruled it out. I also was thinking I did not have enough processing power for an ASIO solution based on what I had read so thanks for the confirmation on that as well.

I'll probably go with a dedicated processing unit like a RF 3Sixty.2 and save my current laptop for use as a MP3 source only. I can run it through the existing HU. The RF processor has everything I want (huge EQ, 3-way active crossover, time alignment). The bluetooth Palm interface is very nice, and I already have a Treo 650.

I know I can get a lot of other functionality if I built up a PC (or bought a faster laptop) instead of buying the processor. But things like navigation, DVD, etc, in a daily commuter Miata will not be very useful for me, so I'll take the easy way out for now

Comment

Working...
            X