Overheated Amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheated Amp

I have a MTX 704x which I think overheated. Iím a complete newbie when it comes to car audio and donít know how to troubleshoot. I was driving along listening to the radio when it cut out.

Can this be solved with some new fuses, or do I need to take it back to Circuit City? Iím on the road now, so hopefully I can get it fixed easily.

thanks,

Bryon
    [email protected]

I checked the fuses on the amp and they are fine. I let it cool off for three hours. The head unit powers up fine.

There is a flashing red light on top of the amp, not the normal blue glow.

I looked for a reset button but could not find one.

thanks,

Bryon

Comment

you need to give us more information.

first i'd try to unhook the speaker wires and hook them up one at a time, you may have a short somewhere
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
        you need to give us more information.

first i'd try to unhook the speaker wires and hook them up one at a time, you may have a short somewhere
        yes hes 100% right, i have a 4 channel mtx amp had the same problem and it was a short

Comment

If you had it done by Circuit, then you could take it back there for warrenty work.
          "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
          "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
          [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Were you driving for a long time before it went out? Did you hit a pothole? Give me some more info and I'll try to help you out.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the speakers from the amp. If it turns on and doesn't go into protect mode then, it's one of your speakers that is giving you a problem. Connect them one by one to see which one it is.

If the amp still doesn't come on with the speakers disconnected, check your ground. If it is good make sure that you getting 12volts at the battery and remote terminal when the radio is on.

If you are getting 12v at the battery and remote, then your amp is bad.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X