Home Theater Subwoofer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater Subwoofer

Can i use a home theater subwoofer in my car?

It plugs into the wall and i have a power inverter that can handle it. It has input for left/right and an RCA plug on the back.

I don't know if it will blow anything if i put it in my trunk?

P.S. i have a 93 chrysler lebaron with stock stereo.<br /><br />

You can likely use it with the inverter, although it probably won't sound good as the speaker was designed for a much larger environment, and you'll likely have noise/grounding issues related to the inverter that may make it effectively unusable.

Worth a shot, though, if that's all you have and you don't want to spend any money.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Ask checksum

Comment

Originally posted by mr_cool View Post
        Ask checksum
        haha... -_-

you sure as shoot can use it

i don't know how well it will sound, but you definitly can use it.

just make sure you wire it up into the right channel, that ususally will bive you the best mono sound.

However, if you have the stock stereo there might not be a sub-out, so you'd have to ask someone else how you'd wire it up.
        '93 Camry - Work Log
        Progress (Slow and Steady)
        █████████
        Phase 1: Planning and Software Procurement
        Total Cost So Far: $75

Free Laptop Parts (DVD ROM!)

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Comment

The only problem, besides what has already been mentioned, is if you were to use this as stated with the inverter. How are you going to turn it on or off? Car amplifiers are activated via a remote turn on wire. And I believe that Self-power home theater subs are signal sense activation, but they are always on. And in this case, so will your inverter.
            "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
            "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
            [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Originally posted by pancit175 View Post
              The only problem, besides what has already been mentioned, is if you were to use this as stated with the inverter. How are you going to turn it on or off? Car amplifiers are activated via a remote turn on wire. And I believe that Self-power home theater subs are signal sense activation, but they are always on. And in this case, so will your inverter.
              a relay

Comment

Originally posted by Cutrara View Post
                a relay
                either that or wire the inverter to an ignition wire so that it turns off when the car is off. Just make sure its fused/gauged properly.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

The only problem with a relay or wiring up to the ign is depent on how much current is required to run the Inverter. Potentially a standard bosche relay is only capable of giving up to 30A which equates to only about [email protected] or [email protected] If the inverter requires more juice then multiple relays or higher amperage relays may be required.
                  "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                  "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                  [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Originally posted by pancit175 View Post
                    The only problem with a relay or wiring up to the ign is depent on how much current is required to run the Inverter. Potentially a standard bosche relay is only capable of giving up to 30A which equates to only about [email protected] or [email protected] If the inverter requires more juice then multiple relays or higher amperage relays may be required.
                    I doubt that his home theater sub draws more than 500 watts or so...usually those home theater sub/amp combos are not "highly powered" compared with car equipment.

If it does, then simply use two relays.

Comment

OK, i hooked it up today after band practice and... IT works!

Well kinda, i gotta go to town and get a bigger power inverter, cause when it hits really low notes in bass songs, the power inverter freaks out.

About turning it on/off, i have a switched threeway cigerette lighter splitter that has my power inverter, mp3 player and cb hooked up to it. I just flip the switch to turn everything off when i get out.

I also put two home stereo speaker in the truck with the woofer to replace the back speakers.

Comment

can you take a picture of this? it sounds like a train wreck!
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Here is some pictures.

I eventually want to install a cheap carpc in my car. Not a touchscreen, cause they are expensive. Something with all the parts i already have.

Anyone know of a cheap lcd i could get?

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                            can you take a picture of this? it sounds like a train wreck!
                            Hey, if it works, and he's happy, then great.

I33t_tj, you might want to think about wiring your 3 outlet splitter directly to the battery...it would make for a much neater installation, and wouldn't be that difficult to do.

Comment

Hmm, thats a good idea... being that the cigerette lighter isn't switched anyway.

I don't know where to mount it though, it has screwholes on the bottom and velcro that came with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X