Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which USB Card to choose given my requirements?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which USB Card to choose given my requirements?

I have 4 speakers and 4 channel 4x60W amp (AMP9)

First of all, I planned on using on-board audio.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...herboards.html

It seems that if I want good (hi-def codec) quality audio - then I can't easily get analog out of MB. I will need Digitial to analog converter and I don't want to go there..

Other option was AC97 6-channel MB and using 5.1 option. But SQ isn't as good (according to FAQ) and I really need:

1. Equalizer for rear/front
    2. at least 4 channels of analog out.

Seems like Turtle Beach Roadie will do that nicely. I just want to easily lower signal to fronts or rears and change EQ settings for them without having to get additional equipment.

To make it more interesting...

I'm building double-din CarPC and planning on placing everything in a case. I will take board out of the case if I go with USB cars. AMP9 will be in the same case.

Is Turtle Beach card one of the smallest with given requirements?

Thanks in advance.<br /><br />

I would try the audio from your onboard sound and see if it is acceptable to you. If it is, then you've saved a good-sized chunk of change by not buying a high-end sound card.

If you're only using 4-channel sound, then 5.1 is a moot point, really. You simply need 4-channel audio, which can be done with just about any sound card.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yes, 4 channels is fine. But I have center speaker which I may actually hook up. And I could potentially install SUB. Right now, I play iPod with stereo and it's fine, but I have few problems.

1. Because I have AMP9 - I can't manage gain. My front speakers have less RMS then rears and go into distortion faster.
      2. Because I have no control over EQ - my front speakers go into distortion faster since they can't play bass over.

Those 2 issues can't be solved even with 6-channel on-board sound(I think) Another problem is that in Nano-ITX size there is no motherboards with 6 channels, all of them have hi def, but only 2 analog and digital outputs. Can't utilize that without DAC converter.

If somebody could suggest nice DAC converter cheaper then USB sound card and applicable to what I need - that might be another choice.

I will start with no soundcard no metter what, but those 2 things really bother me in my current setup with iPod.

Comment

erhemm
        http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2#p1660

mini-itx is still pretty damn small sonny.

that has 6 channel, and it's allready RCA for your eargasmic pleasure.
        '93 Camry - Work Log
        Progress (Slow and Steady)
        █████████
        Phase 1: Planning and Software Procurement
        Total Cost So Far: $75

Free Laptop Parts (DVD ROM!)

Comment

maybe start looking at sbc motherboards. I have no idea if you can get one with multichannel sound, but some are as small as a 3.5" if ITX won't fit.
          System always under construction

Comment

I checked that board previously. First, there is no way (or I don't see it) to get 6 channels out. It has SPDIF, but it's the same issue. RCA jacks - for composite video and just L/R audio.

I really want Nano-ITX over Mini-ITX as I'm limited in space and I don't want rear panel outputs. In case of this board - they just waste of space. Those 6 RCA jacks. And the fact that I will have to route cables back to case (since my AMP will be inside)...

Comment

can you fit a pci card in the case?
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

MB has Mini-PC slot. If I can fit PCI card then I would be better off by taking USB card apart and placing it there "hardwiring" to internal USB port

Comment

Originally posted by katit View Post
                  I really want Nano-ITX over Mini-ITX as I'm limited in space and I don't want rear panel outputs. In case of this board - they just waste of space. Those 6 RCA jacks. And the fact that I will have to route cables back to case (since my AMP will be inside)...
                  you're so crammed for space you can't afford 5mm in each direction O.o
                  '93 Camry - Work Log
                  █████████

Comment

50mm? 170x170 vs 120x120

Comment

Originally posted by katit View Post
                      50mm? 170x170 vs 120x120
                      sorry got my metric messed up, i meant to say 5cm, it's been a while since the whole drugs thing and i'm no good with the metric no more

still, two inches X, and two inches Y isn't a lot of space thats being taken up, ffs we could mesure it with your dick and we would only be waiting an hour!

but seriously, i'd go with mini-itx over nano-itx, but to each his own.

you could wait for pico-itx, that should be more to your liking.
                      '93 Camry - Work Log
                      █████████

Comment

Originally posted by paragraph View Post
                        still, two inches X, and two inches Y isn't a lot of space thats being taken up, ffs we could mesure it with your dick and we would only be waiting an hour!
                        next time you try ball busting at least make sense and be funny
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

pico ITX definitely nice

I will be working on 3D model of my setup. Will see how it works out. But I do know that Mini-ITX is not really what I want. One of the reasons is that I don't want to have back panel connectors.

Comment

Btw, 5cm is enough to place power supply or my AMP9
                            And it's 145cm^2 total in space savings, which is a lot.

Comment

Found this thread:
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...onversion.html

If device like that existed - I would have no problem (SPDIF is no board)
                              Will USB soundcard be better then SPDIF output from MB

Comment

Working...
                              X