Weird stock wiring question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird stock wiring question

I was a reputable car Audio Shop in my neighborhood.

And here is what the guy told me. He took my aftermarket harness and shorted all the speak wires (+ Right Front with + Right Rear, + Left Front with + Left Rear and so on with negatives).

Then he told me if i go in the trunk i can see the speaker wires running to my rear speakers. 2 Wires on each side for each speaker (positive and negative). He said if you cut them then the wires pointing to the front i could connect to the AMP as Front speakers and the wire thats going to the rear speaker directly to the rear speaker connection on the AMP. He said this would save me from running long wires to the harness through the car.

Here is my lame attempt to demonstrate what i am talking about.

anyone ever done this?? and is this even possible??

Ugh. I was going to go on about clean simple install opinions, but I just reread your post.

Seriously, this guy is a hack. Go find someone else.

What he is trying to have you do is reduce your 4 channel system to a 2 channel system in a manner that will be annoying (at best) to unscrew later. The result is that (if you are using a sound card that supports such functionality) you will not be able to adjust front/rear, only left right.

I would run lines from the amp up to the harness and attach each speaker independently myself. Running the wires is a simple task, just removing trim pieces to get the wire behind it. And as long as you avoid power mains (like the line for your amp) and use good quality car audio speaker wire, you shouldn't have any interference issues.

-dave
    My pathetic worklog.
    CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

yeah thats what i thought as well. he was about to cut my speaker lines, but i stopped him before he had the chance.

on the way home i was thinking about it, and it just seems like a 2 channel audio instead of 4 channels.

i knew something was amiss about this. thanks for confirmining my worries.

Comment

Actually what he was trying to do is what some installers like to call "looping" through the factory lines. Instead of having to run new lines to the front speakers you can use the line that would have been from the deck to the rear speakers.
        The rear speakers would have been connected directly to the amp, and the front speakers would have been through those lines that were going through the "loop" while still preserving the 4 channel setup.
        Essentially the lines would go:
        Amp->factoy lines (rear speaker)->loop at the deck wiring->factoy lines(front speakers)->front speakers
        "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
        "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
        [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

what confuses me is how are the lines that are connected to the rear speakers at all connected to the front speakers???

i can try this set up, and worst case scenario ill just reverse back since there really isnt much im doing here...

Comment

Ah. Looking at it again, pancit175 is correct (those small lines and colors are hard to see on my LCD, sorry).

I'd still run up to the wiring harness though. Then there is no splicing and patching in your future if you want to take the stuff out.

-dave
            My pathetic worklog.
            CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by MastaShake View Post
              what confuses me is how are the lines that are connected to the rear speakers at all connected to the front speakers???
              The rear speakers are no longer attached to the factory lines. The rear speakers are directly attached to the amp. It when the harness is "looped," (Front right + to rear right +, front left + to rear left+...etc) that is the point that the rear lines turn into front lines.
              Usually when this is done at my shop, any available harnessess are used to retain the factory wiring integrity and proper polarity. The factory adapting speaker harnesses are still used, even in the factory rear speaker line. So in the event of factory equiptment reinstallation, everything is returned to normal.
              This trick is to save time from routing any more wires through the car. Be it that I've never done this on my car, because I always tend to do things with over-redundancy (which for me it means I always "like" to do things the hard way). Hell thats probably why I got strung into carPCs.
              "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
              "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
              [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Working...
              X