Weird Monsoon Rear Door Speaker Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Monsoon Rear Door Speaker Problem

Hello. I'm new. I ran a few searches, and didn't find anybody that had this problem, so here goes. I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with the Monsoon system in it. I called Scosche, who said the Monsoon amp has a remote wire. As far as Metra and the rest of the installer world are concerned, there definitely isn't one. Apparently the amp senses signal and turns itself on. This is the main reason my problem makes no sense. I wired all of the speakers up to the separate plug with four speaker wire pairs in it, I got the stupid powered antenna adapter for VW's, wired it up to the ANT. wire on the Kenwood and plugged it in, connected Power, Ground, and Ingition wires, and nothing else. Now, I have the tweeters in the front doors going, and the 6.5"s in the front doors working, but nothing in the two rear door speakers.

The wires that aren't used from the stock harness are the Illumination wire, the Gala wire (volume leveling) the Tel. Mute wire, and the "K" wire, which VW calls the 'self-diagnostic' wire.

Also, if someone knew why there are two power wires of the same color on the stock harness, that'd be nice too. All I need is someone to tell me where the problem might be, and I'll start tearing my car apart, but I don't know what's up.

Originally posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
    Hello. I'm new. I ran a few searches, and didn't find anybody that had this problem, so here goes. I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with the Monsoon system in it. I called Scosche, who said the Monsoon amp has a remote wire. As far as Metra and the rest of the installer world are concerned, there definitely isn't one. Apparently the amp senses signal and turns itself on. This is the main reason my problem makes no sense. I wired all of the speakers up to the separate plug with four speaker wire pairs in it, I got the stupid powered antenna adapter for VW's, wired it up to the ANT. wire on the Kenwood and plugged it in, connected Power, Ground, and Ingition wires, and nothing else. Now, I have the tweeters in the front doors going, and the 6.5"s in the front doors working, but nothing in the two rear door speakers.

The wires that aren't used from the stock harness are the Illumination wire, the Gala wire (volume leveling) the Tel. Mute wire, and the "K" wire, which VW calls the 'self-diagnostic' wire.

Also, if someone knew why there are two power wires of the same color on the stock harness, that'd be nice too. All I need is someone to tell me where the problem might be, and I'll start tearing my car apart, but I don't know what's up.

You did a search, right?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...nsoon-amp.html

The amp looks at the speaker wires and sees 6VDC on them (for any normal BTL amp headunit made in the past 15 years). At least one of the speaker wires needs to have 6V on it for the amp to turn on. This should be easy to check, especially with the information provided in that thread.

Comment

Sorry. I forgot an important detail that causes my issue to differ from others. My rear door tweeters work, but not the woofers down by the foot area. According to how I think the amp works, and how everybody else says it does, this shouldn't be possible. But when I fade to the back, sound comes through loud and clear on the rear door tweeters, but nothing else. Are only the two rear door speakers run off the amp and everything else is direct?? I thought everything was all crossed over in the amp and as long as it's on (which I believe it is) it will play on all channels if given signal. Do all of the channels power on separately when fed speaker-driving level signal??

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
        Sorry. I forgot an important detail that causes my issue to differ from others. My rear door tweeters work, but not the woofers down by the foot area. According to how I think the amp works, and how everybody else says it does, this shouldn't be possible. But when I fade to the back, sound comes through loud and clear on the rear door tweeters, but nothing else. Are only the two rear door speakers run off the amp and everything else is direct?? I thought everything was all crossed over in the amp and as long as it's on (which I believe it is) it will play on all channels if given signal. Do all of the channels power on separately when fed speaker-driving level signal??
        Sorry, I don't know enough about your particular system to tell you if the tweeters are run direct. However, it would stand to reason that all speakers connected to the amp would trigger at the same time, but I've been wrong once before.
        You don't happen to have any highpass filters on the headunit turned on, do you? They would have to be set very high to not hear anything out of the woofers.
        Have someone turn the system on and off with your ear pressed against the offending speakers. You should hear a slight tick or pop when the system is turned on...

Comment

Good thoughts. I'll have to try the turn-on-and-listen trick tomorrow. I'm at college, so I have like half of the tools I did when I put the radio in, and far fewer helpers. I thought the same thing you did about the highpass filters, or at least the accidental disablement of my rear speaker outputs on my HU, but neither are the case. I searched the manual high and low, and called Scosche, Best Buy, and Metra. No one has been of assistance thus far, and Scosche even had the guts to tell me that my stock Monsoon amp had a remote wire, which no amount of trim-tearing and research would find. Further research revealed that it definitely did not have one. Volkswagen's labeling isn't of great help either, seeing as the HU ground wire bears the label "k130", and the Tel. Mute wire isn't labeled at all, and is the same color as the Illumination wire. Supremely descriptive, I might say...

Comment

04 Jetta GLI same problem

I ran across your thread while looking for a solution to the exact same problem. I just bought an 04 jetta GLI and there is sound coming from all the front speakers and rear tweeters, but nothing from the doors. Did you find a solution to this problem? how did you correct it? Appreciate and help.

Comment

Same thing!!!!

I bought my gli used. I did not even think to listen to the the subwoofers in the rear. Well I have the same problem with mine tweeters woork but the woofers just dont work. i checked all conections and they all seam to connected. This much be a comin problem with a lot of rear speakers. I had a vr6 just before my gli and the same thing with the rear woofers. There has to be a reason why this problem accures and there hasto be a person out there that knows solution.

Comment

The VW factory amps definitely do NOT have a remote wire, and definitely require a certain voltage to operate correctly.

Guys, as much of a PITA it's going to be, I would highly suggest doing what has to be done per the thread that's linked to in post #2 above. I have a 2006 Passat with the stock amp, and as is the case will all the VW stock amps, it requires speaker voltage to turn on.

Now, with all the trial and error I went through to get up and running, I'm still not sure if that speaker voltage turns on all the channels in sync or what. That's why I'm saying that you're going to have to inject that voltage into your lines going into your amp so you can rule that out as the possibility of causing your problem. Since there are now three of you in this thread that have this issue, it's unlikely that something is broken or malfunctioned.

Building the circuit in the above link is a lot easier than it looks. And you don't have to get all fancy and put it in a box if you don't want to.
                My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

Same problem as you all

I just bought a 2000 VW Jetta VR6 and I have the exact same problem. The tweeters and the midrange speakers in the front doors work fine and the tweeters in the rear doors work fine as well, but absolutely NO sound comes out of the subs in the rear doors. I am not real techie so I was hoping that maybe someone here might have found a solution? No luck?

Comment

Same as the rest, any solutions

Hi, I bought a 2000 Jetta and it has the same problem as everyone else. The rear tweeters work but the speakers in the rear door do not work at all. I was wondering if anyone had any luck figuring out a problem and if there is a solution. Thanks alot.

Comment

read the rest of the thread-- being that no one posted a issue asuming they tried using the above circuit, i would say that nola111 and envisionelec are correct...
                      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                      carpc undecided

Comment

I read all the threads but I am a novice to speakers and wiring and all this stuff. In terms I could understand, what do I need to do or check and how do I check. Thanks again.

Comment

check the above thread-- it seems to detail most of the process very throughly.

if your not familiar, or comfortable with building or installing a device like that, maybe try talking to some local electronics shops, or car audio stores about building and installing the power injector..
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                          X