Connecting amp to laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting amp to laptop

hi, i have a laptop with a separate 5.1 sound card, i have got a 3.5mm stereo plug to a 2 x RCA plug, i am told that this cabel goes in the sound card and then in to the pre outs on the amp, i have a 2 channel amp and want to run to 6x9 speakers off it, just wondering what connections exactly on the amp is it ? also if i want to run 4 speakers do i need to of the above cabels from the sound card to the amp ? and would this need to be a 4 channel amp?

thanks
    sean

really quick, you get get 2 rca splitters for 4 channel, this will maintain stereo, but not be surround. Prob. best option.

Or, you could get another 1/8" to RCA adapter and run that from the sound card as well, this will get you 4 channel sound.

But if you wanted to just run 4 speakers out of your 1 amp... you'd have to give some more details...

once again,

2006 Mazda 3
    Behringer DCX-2496
    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

yeh im sort of having the same issue.

i was told i dont need to use an amp as i am retaining the standard speakers. as such, the problem im having is going from either rca or 3.5mm (from soundcard) to the standard speakers (no body sells convertors for this - they all sell the opposite way, to go from high level (speakers) to rca).

also, if i do use an amp - my sound card only has a pair of RCA outputs (2 channel) - how do i convert this into a 6 channel? (my car has 6 speakers - 2x front doors, 2x rear doors, and 2x rear parcel tray (these are actually subs)).... ahhh, the joys o carputers!!

if anyone has any ideas...

Comment

I have never tried to to be certain, but I find it hard to believe a computer sound card has enough wattage to drive even the lowest end car speakers. I simply don't see a way around getting an amp(s).

Comment

Originally posted by hass View Post
          yeh im sort of having the same issue.

i was told i dont need to use an amp as i am retaining the standard speakers....
          PCs generally cannot drive speakers. Normal home speakers have an amp built-in. Head-units have an amp built in. You do need an amp (unless your existing stereo system includes a separate amp)

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis5587 View Post

really quick, you get get 2 rca splitters for 4 channel, this will maintain stereo, but not be surround. Prob. best option.

Or, you could get another 1/8" to RCA adapter and run that from the sound card as well, this will get you 4 channel sound.

But if you wanted to just run 4 speakers out of your 1 amp... you'd have to give some more details...

once again,
            i would like to have all four speakers working, i know where the speaker wire up to the amp but what i am not sure about is where would the RCA cabels plug in on the amp? what is the name of the connections on the amp?

thanks for the helps

Comment

Working...
            X