Connecting head unit up to battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting head unit up to battery

I want to be able to power the cd head unit from the battery... but on the back of the head unit it's got 1 wire for battery and an ignition switch wire. How would i get the head unit to power on without the car being in acc? I'm also going to wire it up to a fused distro block near the battery.

the acc is the wire that is normally hooked up to the car ignition on. This is what tells the head unit to turn on.

The power on is the one that should be connected to the battery already. It should have power all the time, this is what keeps your settings in the headunit.
    My Worklog
    I'm using my carputer 100%, but I still need to make it easier to use.

Comment

That means that i wont be able to power on the head unit without the car being in acc... wudnt i b able to connect both wires to the battery?

Comment

You could, but the headunit would be powered on all the time unless you turn it off.
        This can and will drain your battery.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I could update my alternator... but i wont leave the head unit on for longer then i need it to be. Another question, i want to be able to connect the head unit up to a fused distro block near the battery... how would i determine what size fuse i would need for the distro block?

Comment

You measure the current draw (in amps) and use a fuse that will blow if the current goes much higher than that.

Honestly, though...
            If you aren't familiar with fusing and such, I HIGHLY recommend going for a more "standard" headunit installation using the vehcles stock wiring harness, at least until you learn enough about the electrical system in your car and how to wire things up safely.

If you screw this up, you can damage youyr electronics, your vehicle, or possibly injure or kill yourself or someone else in your car.
            Alarmist? Perhaps. But the risks from a bad wiring job range from blown electronics to fire. Nobody wants to see that happen to you, or anyone else for that matter.

Learn how to do it right the first time so you don't learn a hard lesson.

Good luck.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yes thank you, i'm just learning. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

Connect the ACC wire to your battery + and put a switch on the ACC wire so you can manually enable/disable power as many headunits when turned off from the display they still draw small amounts of current.

Headunits generally draw around 10 amps max.

I could update my alternator...
                Upgrading your alternator won't do jack if your car's not running.

Comment

Originally posted by pokki View Post
                  Connect the ACC wire to your battery + and put a switch on the ACC wire so you can manually enable/disable power as many headunits when turned off from the display they still draw small amounts of current.

Headunits generally draw around 10 amps max.

Upgrading your alternator won't do jack if your car's not running.
                  So i'm connecting the battery wire and ACC wire to the battery? If they draw around 10 amps, will i need a 20 amp fuse?

Comment

Correct both to battery +. Ground to battery - or to chassis earth.

Does you headunit have it's own fusing? If yes the fuse the cable based on it's size. If the headunit does not have it's own fusing I'd use a single 10amp fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by pokki View Post
                      Correct both to battery +. Ground to battery - or to chassis earth.

Does you headunit have it's own fusing? If yes the fuse the cable based on it's size. If the headunit does not have it's own fusing I'd use a single 10amp fuse.
                      Yes, the headunit has its own 10 amp fuse at the back of the head unit.

Comment

What you can do is just take the ACC wire on your headunit's harness and connect it to the always on. Then you just use the power button on your headunit to turn it on and off.
                        Take the red and yellow wire and put them both on the 12v always on from your car's radio harness.
                        Then, you do not need to worry about fuses or running wires to your battery or anything like that.
                        My Worklog
                        I'm using my carputer 100%, but I still need to make it easier to use.

Comment

Working...
                        X