• Show
Clear All

• Sony or Pioneer

Hi!
    I'm planning to purchase a new HU.
    And i narrowed my choices to 2 options :
    1.Pioneer DEH-4900IB

2.Sony GT710D

I'm leaning toward pioneer for sound quality and functionality.

What's your thought?

Pioneer FTW.
    Sony car audio hardware is generally considered to be crap.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I had two Sony head units go up in smoke several years ago, second one which was a warrenty replacement, nearly to the car with it .

I could see flames coming out of the slot in the front

Needless to say i took the full refund, they offered.

Never touched anything Sony, since.

Comment

do not even think
        go only pioneer

Comment

I've always had good results with Pioneer headunits.

Comment

I bought a Pioneer back in 1997 and had it in my Camaro for years before I built the car pc. Now that head unit sits in my Dodge Ram, and is still as good as the day I bought it!!
            1995 Chevy Camaro
            2003 Dodge Ram 1500
            VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Motherboard
            Iguidance GPS
            Road Runner Frontend w/ DFX5.0.3
            Xenarc 700IDT with DVD CDR/RW

Comment

I'm an audio tech, and all audio gear I've ever seen from Sony is utter crap.

Go the Pioneer.
              Most people (like myself) laugh everytime they see a hoon drive past with the Sony Xplod sticker plastered on their rear window.

Comment

Thanks for the replies...
                I'm gonna buy pioneer.
                I was considering sony 'cause i had it for 2 years and wouldn't change it,but i have to because the front panel connector got broken, otherwise it served well.
                Do you know if theres some USB adapter for that 4900IB so i can connect USB HDD to the HU?

Comment

Maybe it is cause i am extremely impatitent, but i have never been able to completly figure out how to use a sony deck to get all of the features that they list for that model---pineer however, i can tune well beyond what the features list without ever cracking open a manual

acording to pioneers website you will need to buy the CD-UB100---that is a usb adapter for that particular radio

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...543221,00.html

Comment

according to pioneers website, the CD-UB100 should do what you want--usb interface adapter
                    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...543221,00.html

Comment

4900ib

I just purchased a pioneer unit.IT ROCKS....
                      i'm very happy with it's functionality.
                      I just have 1 problem....
                      When i turn the ignition key to "ACC" position HU works, but when i put it in some other position, it blacks out.I had the same problem with my previous unit,but it's a problem within the car. Is there a way i can bypass the ignition key? I thought i'd just switch the engine key +12 with the battery +12 in the ISO connector, so i'll have to turn it off manually.

Comment

I have a sony deck right now in my car. It's been through 2 cars and 3 accidents and still works perfectly, save the faceplate connector being dirty and sometimes doesn't make good contact. I absolutley love it. However, the stuff that Sony's made since I bought my deck has been crappy. Therefore, I'm switching to Pioneer on my next headunit.
                        Crawdaddy
                        1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
                        2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

Originally posted by alvin986 View Post
                          I just purchased a pioneer unit.IT ROCKS....
                          i'm very happy with it's functionality.
                          I just have 1 problem....
                          When i turn the ignition key to "ACC" position HU works, but when i put it in some other position, it blacks out.I had the same problem with my previous unit,but it's a problem within the car. Is there a way i can bypass the ignition key? I thought i'd just switch the engine key +12 with the battery +12 in the ISO connector, so i'll have to turn it off manually.
                          you are correct sir!!!
                          i did that in my 1980 jetta, when i put in my first pioneer

btw, if i ever get another head unit, i will buy an Eclipse. best sound i've heard out of a HU so far. i bought one for my girl about 3 years ago, off a co-worker for $40. he wondered why the kenwood he replaced it with never sounded quite as good.

Comment

Yeah Sony went from the big boy killer brand to ....well..... not worth the money. Pioneer is the only way to go unless you go crazy and spend a bunch of money.

Comment

Working...
                            X