Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I slice my sub box in two? Comments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I slice my sub box in two? Comments?

My younger brother purchased the sub box pictured below (Polk db212-2) at Fry's for $200...seems like a good deal, as Crutchfield has it on sale for $250, and that's with $100 off. Additionally, all the reviews on Crutchfield are positive, and the box has performed well when we tested it on the bench outside the car. But....

My brother's car is a 2006 Mustang GT, and the box will not fit in the trunk opening or through the rear pass through with the seats folded down. So, we need to find a way to make it fit. We took the subwoofers out of the box, and each subwoofer is in an isolated chamber that opens to the large shared port in the middle of the box.

We could easily fit the box in the trunk by sawing the box exactly in half (down the middle of the port), and then putting each half in the opening. We would then close the open sides of each half with MDF (leaving the same amount of port area for each woofer, just now in two seperate boxes).

Is there any reason NOT to do this? Any better ideas?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

I wouldn't but that's me. It's going to look really ugly when you finish and then if you ever need to get the spare out that's going to be tough too. I'd return it and look at getting a box that fits or a custom box made to fit into a mustang that can be removed easily. Just my opinion.
    System always under construction

Comment

Not that it doesn't look ugly now....
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
        I wouldn't but that's me. It's going to look really ugly when you finish and then if you ever need to get the spare out that's going to be tough too. I'd return it and look at getting a box that fits or a custom box made to fit into a mustang that can be removed easily. Just my opinion.
        Thanks. Opinions are what I was looking for.

However, assuming I could solve the aesthetic issues to my satisfaction, do you see any problems with functionality?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          Not that it doesn't look ugly now....
          The current market likes bling.

Originally posted by parksgm View Post
          Thanks. Opinions are what I was looking for.

However, assuming I could solve the aesthetic issues to my satisfaction, do you see any problems with functionality?
          Nope as long as the port dimensions remain the same.
          System always under construction

Comment

If I were you, I would see if you could return the box, and look around online. There are sites that sell custom fiberglass enclosures that could fit your little bros stang like a glove! You usualy see them sealed enclosures, but I'm sure there are places that do them ported as well. It would look 10 times better, and being that most are formed to like a corner or something, they save you some space as well. Heres a site to get ya started: http://www.bassforms.com/bassforms/mustang.html

Comment

Working...
            X