Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground loop/alternator whine - Opus 250w

Hi guys,

I was wondering what kind of noise suppression people were using on their high wattage PSUs. I have the Opus 250w which I love, but I'm having trouble isolating alternator whine/ground loop noise making it into my system.

I did have an in-line supporession circuit but it was choking the ampage getting to my PSU causing it to shutdown on crank, once I removed it the PSU is fine.

Can anyone recommend a good solution for my setup?

Thanks

Notion
    350z Roadster,
    Lilliput 7" touch, Opus 250w, 160gb, AMD3500+, 1gb ddr400, geforce 6500 pcie, SiRF Star 3, Wireless G, Sprint CDMA, Bluetooth, Creative iCam Pro, RR, iG 4, Digital FX 4.0

Moved to Car Audio.
    This is not a PSU problem.
    There is a FAQ all about troubleshooting noise here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=8
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

start with the basics. where is your power wire run, where is your ground, did you sand off the paint to bare metal, what other wires are run an where are they run(for an amp or other electronics), have you used any cheap spark plug wires or the "high performance" type wires or coils?

Comment

Well, my car is a 350z so everything in it is "high performance" I guess.

I have run the main live feed directly from the battery via housing electrical solid core down the outside of the passenger door well to a space behind the passenger seat. The ground for the unit is attached right there in the installation area via a bolt drilled directly into the chassis.

The audio cable runs back from the computer down the center of the car past the gear shift to the stock head unit aux-in.

I used to have the computer set up on an inverter with pretty much the same wiring setup and no whine, but now with the Opus it's pretty noticable.
        350z Roadster,
        Lilliput 7" touch, Opus 250w, 160gb, AMD3500+, 1gb ddr400, geforce 6500 pcie, SiRF Star 3, Wireless G, Sprint CDMA, Bluetooth, Creative iCam Pro, RR, iG 4, Digital FX 4.0

Comment

is the whine a steady whine or does it increase as the revs of the motor increase?

Comment

It definately rises and falls in sync with the revs of the engine.
            350z Roadster,

Comment

i would say upgrade your grounds in the engine compartment and see if that helps. also, any way to move your power wire farther from the alt?

Comment

Not sure what you mean. I dont run any grounds to the engine compartment from the car computer, I kept the ground on that as short as possible grounding it in the actual compartment where the computer is installed.

The main live wire runs straight through my bulkhead to my battery which is at the back of the engine bay close to the windsheild, so I can't really move that any further away.
                350z Roadster,

Comment

I'm pretty certain he means the ground from the battery to the chassis.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

yes, the ground from the batt to the chassis as well as from the engine to the chassis. just dong that will help eliminate some if not all the problem. one quick question, is your power wire any where near you cars ECM?

Comment

Originally posted by Mylt1 View Post
                      yes, the ground from the batt to the chassis as well as from the engine to the chassis. just dong that will help eliminate some if not all the problem. one quick question, is your power wire any where near you cars ECM?

I have No idea where the ECM is located.

Any tips on upgrading the grounding of the engine/battery???
                      350z Roadster,

Comment

Originally posted by notion View Post
                        Well, my car is a 350z so everything in it is "high performance" I guess.
                        Unless you've put it in, never assume that no matter how expensive the car may be. Car manufacturers will always skimp where they don't think the normal owner will look/understand.

I have run the main live feed directly from the battery via housing electrical solid core down the outside of the passenger door well to a space behind the passenger seat.
                        Check this and make sure you aren't running over the wiring going to your door speaker.

Also try moving the ground points for your amp(s) and PSU around some. Even though nothing really looks different, just moving a ground point a couple of inches can make a world of difference. Try grounding everything to the same point if possible (you want to keep your ground lines short though).

-dave
                        My pathetic worklog.
                        CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Any tips on upgrading the grounding of the engine/battery???
                          Pick up a length of 4g or 0g from a sound shop (have them attach an terminal to it if you don't have the tools (0g especially is a PITA). Then simply disconnect the old ground line and replace it with the new one (you'll probably need a new battery terminal too).

-dave
                          My pathetic worklog.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure it's not a case of the power wire running across the door speaker as when I had an inverter in place using the same wiring I had no whine at all.

I guess it'll just be a matter of trial and error with grounding.
                            350z Roadster,

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure it's not a case of the power wire running across the door speaker as when I had an inverter in place using the same wiring I had no whine at all.

I guess it'll just be a matter of trial and error with grounding.
                              The inverter grounded completely differently than the PSU does which is why you now have this issue. More than likely you are correct that it is not an issue with your power line, but some times it's the oddest thing. Since it started when you switched to the PSU, it's ground point is the best place to start.

-dave
                              My pathetic worklog.

Comment

Working...
                              X