No Head Unit and Two Amplifiers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Head Unit and Two Amplifiers

I currently have a mono amplifier for my subwoofer and i would like to purchase another (4 channel) amplifier to run the remaining 4 (5.25") speakers in the car. I would like to get the audio directly from my car computer and not use a head unit. I am assuming that the correct way to set this up would be to get a sound card that outputs 5.1 channels and run one cable (a stereo 1/8" to RCA cable) from the left/right output of the sound card to the speakers' amplifier, and run another cable (a mono or split stereo 1/8" to RCA cable) from the subwoofer channel on the sound card to the subwoofer amplifier. Does this sound correct? This is as opposed to running directly from the left/right of the sound card and using a crossover (either built-in to the new amp or seperate) to split between the two amps. Thanks very much for your input!

I am assuming that the correct way to set this up would be to get a sound card that outputs 5.1 channels and run one cable
    There's no real correct way, but what you described should work. Althoguh you will want to ensure you have some form of bass management in your PC to direct bass to your sub output.

An easier route is to simply ensure your new 4 channel amp has passthrough RCAs, and then conenct those to your sub amp, thus reducing the need for a new soundcard.

Comment

Working...
    X