Line driver recommendation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line driver recommendation?

My amplifier takes speaker-level inputs only (don't ask... it's the factory amp and VW is weird). Currently I'm using a headunit to get the signal coming out of the pc to speaker level. I'm completely re-doing my pc in my car, and would like to get rid of the HU to the extent possible.

Can anyone recommend a good line driver to boost to the signal to my amp to speaker level? I've been googling for awhile but haven't stumbled on anything special as of yet.
    My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Phoenix Gold SLD-44? Thoughts on this one?

Comment

You realy need a mini amp and not a line driver.

In which case I'd recomend you ditch the factory amp and go aftermarket.

Comment

i got a Phoenix gold one, unless u get a line filter, it'll be very noisy.

Comment

I can't/don't want to ditch the factory amp as it's the Dynaudio premium system that VW offers as an option on their latest vehicles. The amp and speakers sound just incredible. The amp has a built in DSP designed by Dynaudio, and the speakers are also made by Dynaudio and are placed and tuned to the cabin, and the sound is spectacular. It was a $2000 option that was well worth every penny.

Are there any "mini-amps" then that you can recommend?

Comment

Nakamichi PA104
            Sonic Impact

However, before following any of my advice I'd get confirmation of exactly what input the factory amp requires.

Comment

you may want to pull one of those speakers and actually look at who made it. a lot of car companys say a lot of things like the RF system in the nissans actually is built by someone else. and for $2k you could do a LOT better than anything the factory offers. not trying to make you mad or **** you off but its the cold hard truth.

Comment

If you have a factory amp already in there and don't want to replace it no need to buy anything really.

All you need to do is figure out which wires are used for your signal input to the factory amp. Then oonce you know the appropriate wires, take the line level signal from the soundcard. YOu will have ot buy some 3.5mm headphone to RCA and cut off the RCA ends. Then match up the channels to wires from the factory amp.

To figure out the factory amp wires, I suggest you visit a dedicated VW forum.

After all is said and done, and it's too quiet, then consider a level converter or line driver. Phoenix Gold, and Audiocontrol are probably the only two companies I would look at.
                System always under construction

Comment

Originally posted by pokki View Post
                  Nakamichi PA104
                  Sonic Impact

However, before following any of my advice I'd get confirmation of exactly what input the factory amp requires.
                  Speaker level at 5v or higher.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Comment

Originally posted by Mylt1 View Post
                    you may want to pull one of those speakers and actually look at who made it. a lot of car companys say a lot of things like the RF system in the nissans actually is built by someone else. and for $2k you could do a LOT better than anything the factory offers. not trying to make you mad or **** you off but its the cold hard truth.
                    I actually don't care if Radio Shack made them... they sound awesome. To me that's all that matters. Thanks for the reply though.

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
                      If you have a factory amp already in there and don't want to replace it no need to buy anything really.

All you need to do is figure out which wires are used for your signal input to the factory amp. Then oonce you know the appropriate wires, take the line level signal from the soundcard. YOu will have ot buy some 3.5mm headphone to RCA and cut off the RCA ends. Then match up the channels to wires from the factory amp.

To figure out the factory amp wires, I suggest you visit a dedicated VW forum.

After all is said and done, and it's too quiet, then consider a level converter or line driver. Phoenix Gold, and Audiocontrol are probably the only two companies I would look at.
                      Thanks Durwood... I've definitely been down this road and back though with my current pc. The problem is that the Dynaudio amp requires speaker voltage to turn itself on. There is no accessory switch for any VW factory amps since the early 2000's. Wacky, I know, but true. Still, none of this craziness outweighs the benefit of the sound quality I have in there. So anyway, running straight from the pc to the amp won't do any good because the amp won't turn on without higher voltage.

And yeah, I've gotten a lot of good info from the vwvortex forum. They definitely know almost all there is to know over there... EXCEPT car pc stuff.

Comment

have you tried a VW forum? maybe someone there would have an idea on what to do to get the amp to work.

Comment

Speaker level at 5v or higher.
                          A line driver (such as the PG you listed) will get you above the 5v, however I'd still be weary if it's expectign speaker level nor simply high voltage rca.

Comment

Originally posted by Mylt1 View Post
                            have you tried a VW forum? maybe someone there would have an idea on what to do to get the amp to work.
                            Oh, I have the amp working now, but it's with an aftermarket headunit that I'm trying to eliminate from the setup. It will work in worst-case scenario, but I'm really trying to cleanup the myriads of crap I have in my car.

And yes, I'm a frequenter of the VWVortex forum. They are very helpful and knowledgeable over there too. They're not as up on the Car PC knowledge as everyone here is though. I've definitely learned a TON about my car's audio system over there though.

In the end, I just need to get speaker-level inputs to my factory amp... the amp will take the SQ from there. I'm just looking for the cleanest solution. I'm reading up as we speak on the Phoenix Gold unit and the Sonic Impact units. I'll likely order one of those tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by pokki View Post
                              A line driver (such as the PG you listed) will get you above the 5v, however I'd still be weary if it's expectign speaker level nor simply high voltage rca.
                              I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What should I be weary about?

It senses voltage on the negative speaker inputs to turn itself on. When I was first installing my current car pc, I tested the straight-from-pc to the factory amp setup by injecting 5v into the negative speaker lines with a POL. It was successful in turning on the amp, but the highest volume I could get out of the system was not loud at all. Once I added the HU to the mix and turned it up about halfway, then I got good volumes.

Comment

Working...
                              X