Need HELP! Headunit wont play while engine is running

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need HELP! Headunit wont play while engine is running

Ok here is one for the experts, i have a 2006 joyner sandviper / Dune buggy 3cylinder engine full size alternator 12v system. I recently installed a JVC headunit and some speakers. The headunit plays fine and everything works perfectly...with the engine off when i start the engine the unit display just blinks, i have the constant power right to the battery, and the other 12v to a key on power, unit is grounded to frame. now i belive i figured out that not running the battery voltage is 12.25 running it is 14.40. so that trips up the head unit... question is how do i regulate the voltage to stay in the 12v range so the headunit will play with the engine running?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

all car audio is designed to run at 14.4v. thats not your problem
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

well ok i understand they can run at 14.4 but there must be some voltage spikes coming from the alt. cause everything else is setup perfectly/ any way how can i regulate the voltage anyway?? I bought a Radio shack 7812 regualtor 1 Amp. i put it in line with the constant power, makes it light up but no play??

Comment

Something is not wired correctly, plain and simple.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

yeah, i have a feeling it doesn't have anything to do with the radio either. did you test all the voltages after you start the car? does the h/u stay on if you temporarily connect the ign lead on the harness to the 12v constant?
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
          X