No Sound from Bose in 04 GMC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sound from Bose in 04 GMC

I have an 04 GMC Sierra CrewCab with the BOSE stereo and for some reason the rear door speakers have no sound coming from them. Is this an amp or software problem or is this something easy? (and yes I did adjust the fade and still got no sound even all the way in the rear). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

check to make sure your speakers don't have a loose conection. This can be done with a 9 volt on the wires, if they are ok it will give a crack sound. If they check out ok, check your software settings for something small like a muted channel.
    Carputer runing Media Engine

kicker mids and highs, on a eclipse amp

10" lightning audio subs on a kicker, soon to be replaced with MA audio comp subs!

Comment

I have the Rear inputs for headphones in the center console, it is turned off but does it have an option to mute the rear speakers even when it is turned off?

Comment

I've never messed with these before actualy. what software r u using? What WTF are headphone inputs? Do u mean headphone outputs?
        Carputer runing Media Engine

kicker mids and highs, on a eclipse amp

10" lightning audio subs on a kicker, soon to be replaced with MA audio comp subs!

Comment

lol, sorry headphone jacks, I am going to play around with the rear console and see if there is an option to mute. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

well there is an option to mute, but for some reason it is staying on even when the rear console is off. Is there a 'safe' way to reset the stereo, or is it just a matter of disconnecting the battery?

Comment

Please help, I have an '03 gmc sierra and the rear speakers are not working either. I just bought the truck, and don't know the prior history. I just replaced the old stock stereo (03) with the new stock stereo off of an 05 and had it reprogrammed at a dealer. Still no sound from the rear speakers. I have the center counsle, but it is off, and all the fades and balances are right. Did anyone find the answer to this problem?

Comment

Not sure if this is relevant or will help... but... my $.02....

Late model GM Bose stereos have a specific factory amplifier, very similar in concept to Ford's Premium sound which required you to bypass the factory audio wiring or a special adapter. You have not mentioned whether the rear speakers have been replaced with aftermarket, but if so, this may be why. I am not sure if the Bose system and speakers use digital encoding, but if they do, and the speakers have been replaced with aftermarket, that could very well explain it. My friend cannot easily replace the factory CD in his 2001 Blazer because it is Bose, and no one makes an adapter for it that we have been able to find.

If the Bose unit and amplifier are both digital, then there simply is no easy way to do this. It may not even be possible with the factory radio.

Death to overpaid engineers who sit around, get high and get harebrained ideas to make the things we buy less user-friendly!!!!

Comment

The speakers are not aftermarket, and they also did not work with the bad factory stereo (front speakers did work with the old factory stereo so I knew it was a problem with the rear speakers). I also tested the center console, and I am able to get head phones to work. ( And I know this mutes the rear speakers, so I do all my testing with the center console off). I am going to play with it this weekend and see if I am even getting juice to the speakers. Any other ideas?

Comment

Bad switch for center console perhaps? Maybe it is not restoring the connection to rear speakers?

Comment

I checked the center console, and everything looks fine. No loose wires, no bad capacitors, everyting looks good. I'm really at a loss for what to do next. I really dont think that a problem is a bad wire, and I am thinking it is more of a fuse problem or something. What would be screwing up both of the back speakers in the same way.

Comment

Does this system have multiple modes of signal processing perhaps? Surround emulation of any kind? I am wondering this because on most surround systems (and yes Dolby 5.1 has been known to be part of some optional sound systems) you can individually set levels for each front and rear channel, as well as a center channel if it exists. If surround was an option with this sound system, the system may have a standard 2-channel operational mode (option to let kiddos watch cartoons in the back seat while you listen to Phil Collins up front) Perhaps the processor has a problem, or the levels are not set correctly?

Also, you mentioned that the truck is a crewcab. Does it possibly have headphone outputs anywhere for the rear seat passengers? (Rear door armrests or rear seat headrests, side of the rear seat frame, perhaps an overlooked overhead console?) If so, the following may be possible. Like most stereos that have headphone output, main speakers are disabled when headphones are plugged in. It is quite likely that the system is designed in this manner, and perhaps the headphone jack is damaged, or has something stuck or broken off in it. (Did you know a five year old can figure out that a box of raisins fits perfectly in the cassette player of a Jeep?) Also possible there is a level control back there somewhere that has been turned down and overlooked. I would double-check the owner's manual just to be sure of this. Rear seat passengers in a lot of late model SUVs have the ability to adjust a separate climate control system, and I believe most with factory rear-seat DVD entertainment are designed such that there is basically a separate rear system that works in conjunction with the in-dash unit. May also possibly have separate amplifiers or processors for the front and rear speakers, if so, check the fuse/fusible links.

One last thing. GM factory stereos have a Theftlock feature. Generally, this will keep the system from working at all.... but if the rear channels are treated as a separate system, perhaps Theftlock has activated for the rear system somehow?

***************UPDATE***************

You didn't mention what trim level the truck is, but I pulled this from the GMC site for the 2009 Sierra SLT Package Crew Cab -- pertinent section is bold and underlined.... I imagine the '04s package availablity was similar.

SLT 4SA

Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of, 2WD Crew Cab SLE 3SA features:
                        Air conditioning: dual-zone, automatic with individual temperature controls for driver and right-front passenger
                        Audio controls, rear: include volume, station selection and media type, power outlet and dual headphone jacks (headphones not included)
                        Audio System: Bose audio system, includes subwoofer in center console and eight speakers
                        Bluetooth for phone: personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system
                        Defogger: rear-window electric
                        Differential: Heavy-duty automatic locking rear
                        Engine: Vortec 5.3L V8 engine with Active Fuel Management and 315 hp and 338 lb.-ft. of torque
                        Foglamps: halogen
                        Mirror: inside rearview auto-dimming
                        Mirrors outside: heated. power-adjustable, power-folding, integrated turn-signal indicators, curb-tilt feature and driver-side auto-dimming feature
                        Remote vehicle starter system: includes Remote Keyless Entry
                        Seating: Ultrasoft leather-appointed seating surfaces
                        Seats: front, bucket; include 10 way power driver and front passenger seat adjuster, 2 way power lumbar control, heated seat cushion and seatbacks, 2 position driver memory, adjustable outboard head restraints and storage pockets
                        Steering wheel: leather-wrapped with mounted audio controls and theft-deterrent locking feature
                        Trailering Package: Heavy-duty
                        Wheels: 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum

Comment

Working...
                        X