RC out of factory head

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC out of factory head

I'm just trying to get rc out from the factory head unit in my '94 Taurus. any suggestions would be appreciated. they're for my new amp, just in case you were wondering.

If you dont know the answer to this I would seriously consider paying for the install.
    Aron
    New Ipad
    Zapco DSP-6SL
    Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
    Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
    Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

if you do know, just tell me please

The install is done, except for this. The head unit doesn't have rc out, but I want to use rc's. I'm not an idiot but I can't think of any simple way to do it. So it would be really helpfull if you would answer the question, thanks.

Comment

something like one of these should do the job

http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7

this is a 4 channel one...bu there are 2 channel ones too

Comment

thanks, that'll do it.

Comment

Don't be surprised if it sounds like crap. Line level converter are known to cause massive amounts of distortion to the signal. If you invent in an after market head unit you'll surely be happy you did.
            CarPC:
            1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
            Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

I'm sorry but when you say "rc" I think you really mean "RCA."
              I would suggest to pick up an adjustable line out converter to prevent the distortion described above.
              "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
              "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
              [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Too poor for pre-fab

thanks, but I'm cheap, and kinda lazy, so I just spliced a couple of females into the speaker wire, and ran rca from those leads to my amp. At first I crossed the polarity on one of them, but I got is sorted out, and it sounds great. Thanks for the tips, this seems like a pretty usefull site.

Comment

there is a reason why they make line -level output converters (LOC), because you should NOT wire a high level (speaker) wire directly into a low level (line-level) input. doing so will overload your amplifier, and it will soon be an expensive paperweight.

many amplifiers have both line-level and speaker-level inputs. you can wire it directly to your speaker wires if you're using the speaker level input. if your amp doesn't have speaker level inputs, then you need to use a line-level output converter. these can be bought very cheap (as low as $10), so there is no excuse not to use one.

F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                  Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                  Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Your going to fry your amp.

Go to any stereo place and pick up a line converter or you will also need to buy an amp next.
                    Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

my amp does have high level inputs, or I wouldn't have done it. It's doing fine, and I use it a lot. Thanks, for the concern though.

Comment

In fact, many amplifiers include differential inputs and a high-level signal can be used on the RCA inputs. The input sensitivity control will have to be turned down, though.

Here's how to tell if your amp is capable:

1. look at the CEA 2006 rating for maximum input signal voltage. If it's better than about 5V, it'll be ok. 6V+ is better.
                        2. Use an ohm meter to be sure than none of the RCA shield connectors are continuous to each other or continuous to chassis ground.

If your amp meets these two criteria, you can safely connect the speaker outputs directly to the RCA inputs. The benefit of this arrangement is tht the signal will be completely isolated from ground and the input voltage is higher than using RCA outputs. That means NO NOISE.
                        Andy Wehmeyer
                        Product Marketing Manager
                        Harman Consumer Group
                        Mobile, Portable and Companion Products Division

Comment

Originally posted by Butsu View Post
                          my amp does have high level inputs, or I wouldn't have done it. It's doing fine, and I use it a lot. Thanks, for the concern though.
                          I guess you have it working. But it would have been nice to know you had high level inputs from the beginning. Which makes me wonder why you wanted RCA connectors? You could have ran speaker wire from stereo to the amp. The amps I've seen with high level input have a connector with the input wires and not RCA connectors.

Oh well welcome to the forums. More info from the start next time
                          Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

my amp does have high level inputs, or I wouldn't have done it.
                            well that's not what you said earlier. you said "I just spliced a couple of females into the speaker wire, and ran rca from those leads to my amp "...

if your amp has high-level inputs they will be in a wire harness/connector, not RCA inputs. RCA inputs in amplifiers are only used in low/line-level inputs.

your statements contradict each other. what exactly did you do? :?:
                            Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                            Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

my amp does have high level inputs, or I wouldn't have done it.
                              well that's not what you said earlier. you said:
                              thanks, but I'm cheap, and kinda lazy, so I just spliced a couple of females into the speaker wire, and ran rca from those leads to my amp.
                              if your amp has high-level inputs they will be in a wire harness/connector, not RCA inputs. RCA inputs in amplifiers are only used in low/line-level inputs.

your statements contradict each other. what exactly did you do? :?:
                              Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                              Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Working...
                              X