VenHaus braided speaker wire pic!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VenHaus braided speaker wire pic!

Here is a shot of my, just finished, sub speaker wire (for single 10")...
    It's equivilent to 10 gauge...
    You can see beside the 14-16 gauge driver wire just how robust it is!
    It's basically 3 driver wires braided together. Thank God I only needed a short run!

And a pic of the wire for use off the crossover to the tweeter...

And what I had to work with...

and this does what?
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

First question, stranded or solid, it looks solid in the photos. If it's solid I'd be concerned how well that is going to hold up in a car environment. And along the same lines I'd be all for such an elaborate cable in a home setup, but do you really think the difference will be evident in a moving vehicle?

Just my 2 cents.
      98' Honda CR-V
      http://www.superbluecrv.com

*OBDMPG, the RR OBD Plugin*

Comment

I think he is braiding cat5 cable like that to make the cable low inductance and improve audio quality (faster signal risetime I think?). I doubt it is humanly possible to actually hear a difference though.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not...
          But there are plenty of reviews available...
          And in a environment as noisey as a cars, wouldn't you want to try and achieve the best audio reproduction you can because of this fact??
          I mean, because it's not the best environment doesn't mean you can or should get away with 'so-so' quality, right?

Comment

I agree with the goal of achieving the best reproduction possible...but I have a real hard time believing that inductance is an issue for subwoofer frequencies assuming even mediocre speaker cable over anything less than miles of distance.

Doing this for subwoofer speaker cable only further adds to the ridiculousness of applying inductance concerns to speaker wire in distances measured in feet. The inductance measured in such cable over those types of runs affects the audio in no audible way, as well as any effects being orders of magnitude below the speaker's own accuracy.
            I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

Comment

If he will be competing this is one of the detail things they will look at. If not others like veerything to look uniform, whats wrong with that? The end result will look much more like a finished product.
              Aron
              New Ipad
              Zapco DSP-6SL
              Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
              Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
              Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

I'd be worried about how well that would hold up in the car. The insulation is very thin and can easily get snagged on sharp metal, even if you are trying to be careful.

Second, let's assume such a great claim as "rise time". Rise time of what exactly?

Anyone considering this, please do not blindly follow marketing but be willing to question the claims made.

Any wire, over a short distance (meaning <500ft) can easily carry audio bandwidth signals between 20-20Khz. It can be calculated using R/L/C values plugged into basic filtering formulas.
                System always under construction

Comment

Well, braiding the wires does help with the signal. If you don't have braided wire you get magnetic fields and the like all messing up your signal.

However, why not just buy some pre-braided 10awg? Its not that expensive and you wouldn't have to spend hours on it.

Plus they are insulated with nice thick rubber.

You are silly...

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneDreams View Post
                    Well, braiding the wires does help with the signal. If you don't have braided wire you get magnetic fields and the like all messing up your signal.

Braiding wire can help minimize the wire's inductance characteristic...but, especially for low-end frequencies in the range of human hearing, for wire that is some feet (and not miles) in length, this is akin to cleaning old french fries from under your seats in order to reduce your car's weight and make it faster in the quarter-mile.
                    I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by hithere View Post
                      Braiding wire can help minimize the wire's inductance characteristic...but, especially for low-end frequencies in the range of human hearing, for wire that is some feet (and not miles) in length, this is akin to cleaning old french fries from under your seats in order to reduce your car's weight and make it faster in the quarter-mile.
                      I have taken many years of electronics classes. I know the formulas and all that. I was simply pointing out WHY he did do it, and that it was silly in the first place.

By the way, we experimented with a similar scenario in class. We took straight wire and braided wire (a few feet), and ran various signals through them and monitored the oscilloscope.

The braided wire had a crisp and clean signal, while the straight wire was fuzzy around the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by hithere View Post
                        this is akin to cleaning old french fries from under your seats in order to reduce your car's weight and make it faster in the quarter-mile.
                        you mean that doesn't work? ...dammit!

I threw away all those fries for nothing!
                        F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                        Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                        Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
                          you mean that doesn't work? ...dammit!

I threw away all those fries for nothing!
                          I saved my fries to offer to unsuspecting passengers...

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneDreams View Post
                            I have taken many years of electronics classes. I know the formulas and all that. I was simply pointing out WHY he did do it, and that it was silly in the first place.

By the way, we experimented with a similar scenario in class. We took straight wire and braided wire (a few feet), and ran various signals through them and monitored the oscilloscope.

The braided wire had a crisp and clean signal, while the straight wire was fuzzy around the edges.
                            And why this is silly again?? I'll take the clean signal over the 'fuzzy' signal any day...

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
                              And why this is silly again?? I'll take the clean signal over the 'fuzzy' signal any day...
                              Because the fuzz is likely noise somewhere in the MHz region.

Comment

Working...
                              X