Do I Need an Amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need an Amp?

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback Station Wagon. I am going to order 2 pairs of 300 watt Soundstorm F365 and a Pioneer Premier DEH-P390MP deck. My question is with that much power do i need an amp?
    Cody

the deck has pre-amp outputs...you dont "need" an external amplifier...also i've never even heard of this brand of speakers..be weary...
    My 2003 Mercedes C230 Carlsson w/ carputer

Comment

Those speakers are quite cheap. I highly doubt they are 300 watts. I am guessing they are using clever wording in their description. (1 pair of 150 watts = 300 watts). Plus that wattage is probably peak.

I would assume the rms wattage would be more like 75 watts.
      75 watts for mid range speakers is plenty though.

Your head unit will output 22 watts to each speaker. You could use a small 4 channel amp.

Comment

never used there speakers but i've owned several soundstorm amps (using one now) and i've never hadda problem with it
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

well i am not trying to make the neighbor hood shake i just want something with decent bass that is better than my factory stock stereo

and also an amp really isn't in my price range i just don't want to blow the deck

Comment

you won't "blow your deck" as long as your speakers are the correct imedance for the head unit.

your pioneer head unit is more powerful than most stock radios, so it should be a significant increase in power output. you will also get more control over the EQ. (most stock radios cut the bass out at higher volumes to make up for an underpowered amplifier and to protect the cheap stock speakers). an external amplifier can provide cleaner, more powerful sound than any head unit but if you're only looking to improve your stock sound then the head unit upgrade will probably be fine.

just because the speakers say '300 watt' doesn't mean you need to feed them anywhere near that much power. that is a peak/max power rating and is probably exaggerated quite a bit as well. I would suggest you get better speakers than those cheesy soundstorms, they probably won't sound much better than your stock speakers.
            F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
            Fusion Carputer [2.0]
            Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Well if you are only feeding 22 watts to speakers rated at 75 watts they will not be very loud at all. You would turn it up all the way and they would be around medium volume.

Plus turning up the volume all the way on your head unit can cause your output signal to clip..making the speakers sound bad.

A small 4 channel amp is not that expensive.

Either get an amp, or get some lower wattage speakers.

Oh, and 22 watts isn't really much more power than most OEM cars now. The standard now is more often around 45 wattage outputs for after market head units now.

Comment

well i thought that too, but i looked at their website and they look legit, but that could just be the site. i am ordering them from onlinecarstereo.com and it is only $22 a pair so it isn't that big of a loss

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneDreams View Post
                  The standard now is more often around 45 wattage outputs for after market head units now.
                  you are confusing peak output with RMS/continuous output. no head unit can output 45 watts of continuous power [per channel].

Originally posted by ArcaneDreams View Post
                  Oh, and 22 watts isn't really much more power than most OEM cars now.
                  most modern head units (including the Pioneer head unit referred to in this thread) are rated for ~45 watts peak/max output, ~22 watts RMS output.

F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                  Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                  Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
                    you are confusing peak output with RMS/continuous output. no head unit can output 45 watts of continuous power [per channel].

most modern head units (including the Pioneer head unit referred to in this thread) are rated for ~45 watts peak output, ~22 watts RMS output.

correct. There are a few high end alpine units putting out 55 per channel MAX. But nothings putting out anywhere near 55 RMS.
                    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

thread moved to car audio.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

lol I dont remember posting that. Arg, stupid room-mates.

Regardless, he would still do with an amp. 22 watts to a 75 watt speaker will sound pretty quiet.

Comment

you're confusing wattage handling with efficiency.

yes giving a speaker 75 watts will be louder then feeding it 22 watts. but giving a speaker that is measured at 87 db @ 1w/m, 75 watts will be quieter then giving a speaker that has an efficency of 93 db @ 1 w/m, 25 watts.

There are many s.e.t. tube amps that power home audio speakers that are rated at 5 wpc... so wattage isn't everything
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Yes, and his speaker is 1W/1M: 90DB

As I said, he would do better with a small amp. In comparison 22 watts and 75 watts there is a noticeable difference. It will sound more quiet when he feeds only 22 watts in.

You also have to take into account the reliability of the manufacturer.
                            These are cheap brand speakers. They are advertised using their max power. (always a sign of cheapness)
                            In reality the RMS of those should be .707 of 300. I am very much doubting these can handle 212 watts RMS.

This brings into question the accuracy of the specs all together. The previously mentioned 1W/1M: 90DB efficiency is probably a big stretch.

All I'm saying is that it would sound much better if he had an amp. Granted..you can only get a certain amount of quality out of a $15 speaker..but it will sound better with an amp.

Comment

Working...
                            X