Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my Ground Loop?

I need help guys.

The PC is connected and powered along with the screen.

Everything is working perfectly (touch wood) but I'm getting interference over the audio.

This is how I rigged the audio up:

The lappy is connected to a connects 2 interface that I replaced the cd changer with.

The audio signal from the laptop is clean when using headphones but as soon as I connect to the line out of the laptop to the connects2 interface see pic. I get a buzzing sound.

Now having done a seach its seems its 99% a ground loop issue as I am hearing alternator whine too.

Now with this setup what would you suggest?

Please don't get to technical as I am a noob so simple instrauctions would be great.I have read the FAQ on ground loops and it all depends on the setup.

As I am using a connects2 interface what would you do to get rid of the noise?

Ideally I woluld like to get rid of the noise rather than bandage the noise up with a Ground Loop Isolator .

Or is a Ground Loop Isolator the thing to use as I have the connects2 interface?

Thanks

you can try grounding the shielding of the RCA cables to the chassis of the car, grounding the case of the connects2 adapter (i imagine it is grounded..possibly), and if you can get a ground from the laptop mobo to the car ground you would essentially be re-grounding everything. Quite a bit of work, but does a good job at fixing certain types of ground problems.

Comment

Ground loop isolators aren't a band-aid. Good ones include a prettyhigh-quality transformer that just reflects the inpedance of the next component rather than connecting directly to it. Buy a good one and your troubles will be solved.
      Andy Wehmeyer
      Product Marketing Manager
      Harman Consumer Group
      Mobile, Portable and Companion Products Division

Comment

What I have done before I buy an Isolator is to invest in some High Quality shielded cables.And a Creative USB Xmod.

Should be with me tommorow.

The onboard sound jack is right over the HDD in the laptop and is not helping with noise.So I will try these things first to see if it helps.

If I can get distance between the laptop and the soundcard then this should help.These cables work fine in the house but I guess an investment in sheilded cables is a must for a CAR PC. Its a cruel environment for a PC.

If all else fails and I need an Isolator can anyone recommend one that will not impair the sound quality?

Maybe ground the laptops PSU to the car chassis would help?

Thanks

Comment

Is the laptop running on its battery when you experience the whining? If you have a power supply connected to the car, disconnect it and see if the noise is only present when the laptop is powered by the car.
          Andy Wehmeyer
          Product Marketing Manager
          Harman Consumer Group
          Mobile, Portable and Companion Products Division

Comment

Working...
          X