Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground loop isolator, isolated half my audio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground loop isolator, isolated half my audio?

So I get a whine, it's not terribly loud, and with my music at a decent level I can't hear it.

However, if I'm not listening to music, but say navigation directions, or a road trip and someone isn't blasting a DVD, then you hear it.

So I had the install shop throw on a ground loop isolator. No more whine! Half the sound gone =(

So we had to remove it. Do you think it was a bad isolator? Are some isolators better? Any other solution, other than trying different locations for the ground?

It's not terrible, but it's annoying if I'm wanting to use the navigation

some are DEFINITELY better than others.. i bought a scosche one from walmart a couple days ago and it made the sound twice as loud as it was before the isolator was installed so i took that crap back lol
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Well if anyone has one that works well, please post so myself (and maybe others) can try it out.

Thanks!

Comment

I read somewhere very recently that the one that the Best Buy install shop sells is very good and is the most transparent one they know of.
        My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

I bought that one from BestBuy and it really didn't help out much on my setup.

Comment

I had 2 laying around from RadioShack from when I worked there, and they worked pretty well. When I moved my PC I was more careful with the wiring and didnt need them anymore...
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I, too, purchased the Radio Shack GLI (about$17) and noize went bye-bye.

I have a discriminating ear and the GLI did not degrade sound quality one bit.

Best of luck and blessings.
              Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

The RadioShack GLI I bought made my sound HORRIBLE. Low frequencies were muddy/non-existent, vocals were lost in the jumbles of high frequencies... horrible. I thought it was my BlitzSafe adaptor the whole time, even had it replaced under warranty and the same result. I took out the GLI today and it's back to perfect sound quality - looks like I don't even need the GLI anyways, I have no background noise from the car/alternator.

Comment

Has anyone considered the output impedance of the circuit driving the GLI? Consider the high pass RL filter on this page : http://www.play-hookey.com/ac_theory...s_filters.html

Personally I use a unity gain opamp "buffer" to reduce the output impedance to drive my GLI, I get no issues.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Working...
                  X