Line-Out Converter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line-Out Converter

Can someone please thoroughly explain how to install a line-out converter? I know that you should install them somehow by tapping into the rear speakers on your doors and i took off my left rear door panel to see what the speaker was like and it had two wires, a red and a white.

Well there's all kind of different types of Line Level Converters out there. Some are simple and others have multi channel inputs and outputs.

Comment

Here's one of the most common 2channel LOC--

If you're using an LOC for subwoofers i would tap the rear channels of your speakers.

http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7

[98%]

Comment

A standard 2 channel LOC has typically 4-6 wires. White (+L), white/black (-L), Grey (+R), grey/black (-R). The remaining wires are typically black or brown and should only be used if no sound is produced and all other connections are correct.
        You have to determine the positive and negative speaker connections for the left and right speakers, typically rears. And the wire colors for the LOC do not match factory colors. In most cases, you dont have to go directly to the speakers to get these wire connections. You can find these wires at a neutral source, ie deck or factory amp. Also, polarity always matters.
        "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
        "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
        [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Do I not have to use a ground wire for the LOC?

Comment

As I've already stated, most instructions for the LOCs state that the ground wire is only to be connected if no sound is resulted from connection through this device and while all other connections and components are correct and functional.
            "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki

PROGRESS:

Comment

Do you guys know of any tutorials that have pictures or something? Plus, does it matter what wire size I use for the LOC or do I need to get the certain gauge for the size of my amp?

Comment

you don't need a tutorial for an LOC.. it is one of the simplest devices you will ever hook up. it should include basic instructions that should cover everything. if you buy a used LOC or for some other reason it didn't come with instructions, here are some very basic instructions:

a basic 2-channel LOC has 4 speaker level input wires and 2 line-level RCA outputs. you connect the 4 speaker level input wires to any left/right speaker wires (it doesn't matter if they are front or rear). you will need to figure out which wires are pos/neg; the speaker terminals are often marked, if not then search on google for your car's speaker wire colors (polarity). you will need a set of RCA cables to connect the LOC's line-level outputs to your amp's RCA inputs.

NOTE: if your amp has speaker-level inputs then you don't need an LOC at all. just hook your left/right speaker wires directly up to the amp"s speaker level inputs.
                F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

This is my amp. I'm pretty sure it has speaker-level inputs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-ACOUSTIK-L...QQcmdZViewItem

How do I do this since it has speaker-level inputs?

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
                    if your amp has speaker-level inputs then you don't need an LOC at all. just hook your left/right speaker wires directly up to the amp"s speaker level inputs
                    Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                    Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

I don't see speaker-level inputs on my amp though. What do they look like?

Comment

have you read your amp's instruction manual?

if your amp has speaker level inputs; then the manual should tell you where the inputs are, and how to hook them up. if you don't have a paper manual, then you can probably get one from the manufacturer's website.
                        Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                        Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

From experiance, I dont think that amp has line level inputs.

PROGRESS:

Comment

I don't beleive it does either. But why does the specs say it does? :S

Comment

Working...
                            X