Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audigy2 NX USB Sp/DIF Input without USB connection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audigy2 NX USB Sp/DIF Input without USB connection?

Hey all,

I'm working on a computer setup where I'd like to have 2 sound interfaces. Basically, I'd like to have one interface default with the operating system for music, etc. and another sound interface for a soundboard routed to an amp and to a PA horn in the hood, so at any given time I can play a sound clip outside the car without interfering with the music inside the car.

I have an M10000 board, and I'm looking at using a sound blaster USB audigy 2 NX. However I haven't gotten to play with one yet and I'm curious about how it and SPDIF works in the M10000.

First, if I use the SPDIF output on the M10000, does anyone know if this renders the onboard analog output unusable, or could I use the SPDIF output for music (bind winamp to it) and find a software to play WAV files through the regular sound capabilities (analog) of the motherboards onboard audio?

Also, regarding the USB Audigy NX, I've read that it supports SPDIF input. Does this mean I could eliminate the need to connect it to the USB on the computer and just bring the digital spdif output from the M10000 into the Audigy via the spdif cable and then feed the output from the Audigy USB device to amplifiers and then to speakers? Or is the USB connection still necessary?
    and if USB connection is necessary, is the majority of the USB bandwidth relieved in the event that SPDIF is utilized to bring the Audio to the Audigy?

Any help or info from people who have been to this point already would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Randy

Originally posted by catatung View Post
    hi!

you will get all digital sound on your mobo's spdif out: wave, directsound, midi synth, etc - but you will not hear directly the line in, mic, aux, cd in and other analog sources - only with software that records than plays it in realtime. winamp and all other sw will be ok...

i think the usb connection is required for operation, initialization and power are needed
    "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
    Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

Thanks for the input, I guess I could try powering it from a 7805 Regulator on the USB pins that bring the device power if I wanted to go this route.

Does anyone know if the SPDIF considered a second interface, or am I not allowed to use the onboard analog audio device to do different tasks and play different sounds if I'm using the SPDIF output?

Comment

Thanks for the input, I guess I could try powering it from a 7805 Regulator on the USB pins that bring the device power if I wanted to go this route.
        you can give it a try, if you are brave enough, but i think this will not work...

Does anyone know if the SPDIF considered a second interface, or am I not allowed to use the onboard analog audio device to do different tasks and play different sounds if I'm using the SPDIF output?
        no... there are some newer sound chipset, like ALC882 from Realtek, where you can find "7.1+2". the +2 means that it can be switched by driver to two different card. you will get a 7.1 card on the computers back, and a stereo one on the front panel audio header - and there will be 2 different sound device in your list, that can be choosed as audio playback device. in this configuration, the 7.1 shared with the S/PDIF output, and the other is an analog-only stereo device on the header. but the chipset on your mobo is VIA VT1616, and its an older one that unshareable. the only way is an additional PCI or USB stuff...
        "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
        Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

I had an Audigy 2 NX and it definitely requires both external power and USB connection to turn it on.
          My Grandma & Her Friends on Their Spring Vacation

Comment

Working...
          X