Multiple audio inputs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple audio inputs?

I want to run a few devices (scanner, CB, and ham radio) through my car computer so I can route them through my car speakers if I want. Is there any device that enables multiple audio inputs (such as splicing)?
    Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
    - Edit skin to liking.
    - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
    - Facilitate HVAC control.

A source switch would work same as you would use on a home system if you have ran out if inputs. Bit clunky in a car mind you.
    Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Hmm. I checked out the thread, and it seems there are some issues integrating this into Road Runner (unless I read wrong). Does this device act as a replacement for the sound card, or does it hook up to the line in on the sound card already there?
      Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
      - Edit skin to liking.
      - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
      - Facilitate HVAC control.

Comment

It hooks into the line in of soundcard, and then to your various devices, XM, HD, AUX in etc...

You can then program RR to change input via usb.

Mitch is just about to shipit , so it's a new thing, but there have been several beta testers, best to ask questions in that thread...
        Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

I'm going to be using an ART MacroMIX mini mixer to do this... I am going to have my mp3 player and gps (haven't installed my car computer yet), CB, and other extraneous devices hooked into this, and then fed into my head unit which will serve as my amp.

Amazon has them for for $45. Quite a cost-effective solution assuming good sound quality throughput (I've heard good things about ART).
          Attached Files

Comment

And how do you plan on controlling it? Are you only going to have one device on at a time or something?
            2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
            Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
            Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
            The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

I'm going to set it and leave it (for the moment). I like the idea of having background music, occasional GPS instructions, and CB chatter mixed over the same speakers. If I've got my music volume low, am driving a long route with few GPS notifications, and have my squelch set high on my CB, I should not have a problem with all of the audio co-existing.

Having said that though, I would like to avoid a cacophony so I may have to find a different solution later on... especially if I decide to integrate Bluetooth control of my cell phone into the mix. For the time being though, it makes sense to have all of my inputs faded to a predetermined level and then adjusted individually whenever needed. The unit is small enough that I could mount it in a cubby below my headunit and have immediate access to relevant volume controls if I want to kill GPS audio to better hear what my buddy's saying over the CB, for example.

Comment

What type of computer are you running this on? I ask, because I use a PCI Sound Blaster Audigy, but use 3rd party drivers (google 'kx project') that let you route the audio through the DSP in any way you choose. Full customizability. Lots of effects to use as well. However, if all you want is to combine those sources (Scanner, CB, HAM) than any basic sound mixer (like the ART unit listed above) is all you'd need. Just power it from the 12 volt line in your PC.
                2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                  What type of computer are you running this on? I ask, because I use a PCI Sound Blaster Audigy, but use 3rd party drivers (google 'kx project') that let you route the audio through the DSP in any way you choose. Full customizability. Lots of effects to use as well. However, if all you want is to combine those sources (Scanner, CB, HAM) than any basic sound mixer (like the ART unit listed above) is all you'd need. Just power it from the 12 volt line in your PC.
                  AFAIK, the little mixer I posted is entirely passive - needs no power. That's one of the reasons I like it. That, and that it's small enough to mount into a cubby on my dash.

Comment

Mitch JS USB Audio Selector 4 inputs 1 output - MJS-UAS4S
                    System always under construction

Comment

Actually, that ART mixer that was posted is powered, even has the power port labeled in the top left, 12VDC. No matter, you don't want to use a passive mixer if you can help it.
                      2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                      Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Ok, I admit it, I'm blind.

/Seriously, wtf... how did I miss that??

Comment

That mini mixer looks like what I need for my desk so I can route sources to the speakers without the computer on. Too bad the price jumped $10 in the past week.

Comment

Working...
                          X