Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help! JL audio vs mtx

HI there every body I am new to this so if I make any mistakes bare with me

So I want to upgrade my subs and somebody wants to trade me 2 jl audio 10w1v2 subs in sealed enclosure & someone else is offering me 2 mtx 12 in 4500 subs in ported enclosure the jl's are only rated at 150 watts rms while the mtx's are rated at 225 watts rms not to mension that the jl's are only 10's I plan to power which ever set I get with a sony xplod 1200 watt amp that puts out 400 watts rms to each sub I don't know what to do jl's or mtx's? will either even handle the 400 watts? please help

I've only got experience with JL, so I'll try and help you as I can with that.

I've got 2 10w3's and they are absolutely amazing subs. While I know they are different than the w1 subs, they are still JL subs and they still have a lot of the same technology. JL subs are meant to be run on JL amps, this does not mean that you cant run them on different amps, just that they work best together. Now, what that also means is that the JL amps are also rated a little differently than other amps in terms of power. While the sony xplod may be rated at 1200 watts, that is based on what OHM rating it works best at, and how you wire the subs. Being as they are single voice coil subs it shouldnt be too big of a problem, but if they were DVC you might run into some issues. JL Amps are rated on thier wattage regardless of OHMS required. So a 500/1 may only be a 500w rated amp, but thats 500w @ 1,2,3,4 or 8 OHMS. Its very different.

I dont think you'll have any problems with the JL subs being hooked up to the sony amp though. Especially if they are in a sealed enclosure. Sealed enclosures are good for allowing the sub to be able to handle more power than normal. But, thats just my take on it.
    ~If your not living on the edge, your taking up too much space~

Comment

Thank you for replying I have always wanted some jl subs but have been discouraged by the low rms wattage but I will give them a try.

Comment

Also, in comparison to RF and kicker, JL is all about audio QUALITY rather than just heavy hitting bass. They are very good in terms of bass response and good quality sound, not just booming bass.
        ~If your not living on the edge, your taking up too much space~

Comment

Oh okay that sounds good I used to have 2 kicker cvr's powered by a kicker amp giving them about 300 watts each and they were LOUD but not very clear at all so I think I will Most likely go with the jl's well thank you executor485 for all your advice and help.

Comment

Just because your amp CAN put out 400 watts to each sub, doesn't mean they are going to GET 400 watts each, and you have to remember, that would be basically MAX volume constantly. Power is not what kills speakers (in general), distortion is! Proper tuning will eliminate any worries. Keep the gains low, match them properly to the output of your head unit (or car pc as the case may be), and don't crank the volume all the way up all the time if you're worried about too much power...

I personally prefer JL over MTX, but they are both just fine. Installation is everything!

Comment

Mtx

Comment

Make your in ported box

Comment

The best advice would be if you can try them out in your car
                  Then you can see what sounds best to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X