Input voltage levels on amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input voltage levels on amps

So with an audiocontrol matrix coming to take care of my voltage situation I've started looking at amp specs and noticed the max input voltage for a lot of them really isn't that high. The audiocontrol can go up to 13V, but most of the entry level amps are limited to between 4 and 6V.

A JL amp I was looking at could do a bit better.

So the real question is how big of a factor is this in your sound. I understand the principle of the audiocontrol moving the signal voltage high enough that the interference doesn't get amplified as much in the amp. I guess the real question is will the audiocontrol moving the voltage up from the crappy sound card levels be enough to take care my sound quality enough.
    Computer is in the car, but in a very "raw" install right now.

Worklog - here

depending on your weakpoint in your soundquality and how close you are mounting the line driver to your source... it 'could' improve the sq. but if the signal is crap to begin with, you wont help it much. that being said, when i added the 24xs to my sb live/kx project set up... it did improve the sound dramatically.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
      depending on your weakpoint in your soundquality and how close you are mounting the line driver to your source... it 'could' improve the sq. but if the signal is crap to begin with, you wont help it much. that being said, when i added the 24xs to my sb live/kx project set up... it did improve the sound dramatically.
      I've got the sb pcmcia card with kxproject, so I know I need the audiocontrol matrix. The question is more of if having an input level above 5V on an amp is really that important.

The RCAs will be making very short runs to the amps. A total of a few feet.

Worklog - here

Comment

Dan, what sound card are you using?

I found my audigy 4 didn't sound very good with KX drivers until I learned how to configure things properly.

Profx and UFX plugins also made a dramtic difference when I start playing around with things.
        For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
        Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
          Dan, what sound card are you using?

I found my audigy 4 didn't sound very good with KX drivers until I learned how to configure things properly.

Profx and UFX plugins also made a dramtic difference when I start playing around with things.
          I'm using the Audigy 2 ZS notebook version (pcmcia) because my setup is using a laptop. I've got those plugins, but I'm still stumbling my way through configuring it. It worked fine in it's default settings, but all the kx guys are big advocates of starting with a blank DSP and configuring it yourself, so that's what I'm working on.

Worklog - here

Comment

After doing some reading of my audiocontrol manual (it arrived today) it seems that it is rare for amps to take an input voltage much higher than 5V, so I guess thats not an issue.

Now with that said, I did notice the JL amps take better input voltages and will keep that in mind.

Worklog - here

Comment

Working...
            X