Engine Noise OMG Go Away!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Noise OMG Go Away!

Ok I have tried everything in all these threads. I just got done regrounding everything again and I still get engine noise. Here is the conclusion, when I plug the rca going to my head unit(not amp) the noise starts even though the computer is not even on(WTF!). Once I unplug the cable from the onboard sound port the noise stops, I have moved the RCA cable to not be near anything and the sound never changes so I dont think its interference with the cable. It is also running through a GLI which does not do anything sound wise. Im thinking it may have something to do with the computer but I don't understand how. Like I said if I disconnect it from the computer the noise stops. This is so frustrating please help me out if you have had a issue like this before.

I had the same issue with a friend of mine, as soon as we went with an external sound card, issue was resolved.

Comment

earth loop between the pc and the amp.
      eg your vga screen has 2 earth points, one via the vga cable itself, and the other with the power.
      the HU is earthed via the chassis and via the earth wire, AND via the radio antenna.

So is everything the pc, HU, screen, amp all grounded to the same place?

are they all fed off the same + power wire

i used my amp as a distribution block, to get round this...
      i ran a big power wire from the battery to the amp then ran a 2mm wires from the amp's + and - to a strip connector for the pc, screen and hu power.

the earth i took from a bolt attached to the centre dash area, so thats nice and close to the ground the HU chassis is attached too.

no noise. also keep vga cables away from rca cables

Comment

Originally posted by Woofnstuff View Post
        earth loop between the pc and the amp.
        eg your vga screen has 2 earth points, one via the vga cable itself, and the other with the power.
        the HU is earthed via the chassis and via the earth wire, AND via the radio antenna.

So is everything the pc, HU, screen, amp all grounded to the same place?

are they all fed off the same + power wire

i used my amp as a distribution block, to get round this...
        i ran a big power wire from the battery to the amp then ran a 2mm wires from the amp's + and - to a strip connector for the pc, screen and hu power.

the earth i took from a bolt attached to the centre dash area, so thats nice and close to the ground the HU chassis is attached too.

no noise. also keep vga cables away from rca cables
        The PC and Amp are running off the same power and ground. The head unit and screen are up front running off the stock wiring. So you want me to run another wire back up front for power to my HU and Monitor, then reground my HU and Screen on the consol somewhere. Its worth a try...what gauge wire should I use to run the wire becaus I already have two 4GA wires running along each side of my car right now(On side is the power, and the other side is my VGA cable)

Comment

Originally posted by mdawg View Post
          The PC and Amp are running off the same power and ground. The head unit and screen are up front running off the stock wiring. So you want me to run another wire back up front for power to my HU and Monitor, then reground my HU and Screen on the consol somewhere. Its worth a try...what gauge wire should I use to run the wire becaus I already have two 4GA wires running along each side of my car right now(On side is the power, and the other side is my VGA cable)
          You can use something like 10awg to be safe and be an upgrade (and it is cheap too) for the HU and screen.

But to me it sounds like the PC is the cause, not the HU...

Get an mp3 player or cassete player or cd player or whatever. Plug it in to the same cable that plugs into the PC. You will probably have to get a 1/8" stereo jack female-female connector (about $3 at Radioshack last I worked there). If there is noise, it is not the PC. If there is no noise it is the PC. Then you can spend some money on an external card, or you can try grounding the PC chassis and such.

First we need to know where the noise comes from.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Alright I will try the grounding of the chassis first, then Ill try a sound card(not external but a PCI one) and see the results first along with plugging my ipod in. I'll get back to you all as soon as I try!

Comment

Update: Just went out to my car and plugged my ipod in and it sounds just fine. Either its the sound card onboard or grounding the chassis of the computer.

Comment

you shouldnt ground ythe chassis of your pc directly to your car at some random point.
                check inside the pc and see if the PSU has a ground wire to the earth of the case. you want as few different grounding points as you can get. if you want to ground it run a bit of speaker wiri back to the earth on the amp or wherever your distribution point if for your earths

i used 1.5mm speaker wire to power my HU and my screen. its bigger than the stock wire, and i have an amp doing all the work so its plenty for the HU, and the screen uses almost no power anyway...

another test is power it all up and then unplug the vga plug once you have music playing and see if that changes anything.

btw what is the motherboard / built in sound, and what case / psu

Comment

Its an asus motherboard out of a HPXT963(old computer I used for this). As for the case its custom built, the motherboard is on spacers that are drilled in a piece of plexyglass with a few metal bars for a frame.

Comment

try unplugging the video cable anyway and see how that goes..

some of those older built in sound cards were a bit crap, so that might be why. they didnt float the earth properly from the pc and quite a few had noise issues as desktop pc's. a cheap sound blaster should work a heap better. but no promises, see if you can borrow one first.

Comment

Already tried unplugging everything and still had the sound. I have an Audigy 1 I can swap in and try tomorrow so I will let you know.

Comment

Shouldn't one end of the RCA also be grounded? Is it a good quality RCA?
                        Most have a 'drain', or shield that's connected to the - at one end. This should make ground contact thru the chassis RCA plug, which ultimately, should be grounded to 'earth'...

Comment

Update: The sound card fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

kool..

Comment

Working...
                            X