No announcement yet.

Can I connect 2 sources to one speaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I connect 2 sources to one speaker?

Just as my header says, I was wondering if i can connect 2 diffrent sources to one speaker? Currently my complicated set up has a 7.1 setup. I have a AMP for each pair of speakers, except center and SUB, they have their own AMPS. So thats 5 AMPs all together. Currently the AMP fopr the center speaker is only using one channel on the 2 channel amp. What I wanted to do is use that same speaker for telephone handsfree calling. I use Centrafuse for my front end, and when a call comes in, it mutes the music or what not. Currently my setup suffers from the dreaded echo the caller hears. To get rid of this I decided that rather then have the phone pump through all speakers, that phone should only come out of one speaker, the center speaker to be exact. The onboard soundcard audio out is what would handle the audio out for the phone. I was thinking of simply connecting this to the other channel I have left open on the AMP. Would this cause any problems though, like any type of feed back that can damage something?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

After researching... i found that you can actually destroy one or both audio sources by connecting to one speaker. I am sure there is some type of relay system I can come up with, but frankly I am lazy and dont feel like having the headache. At this point of the stage i want my car PC to simply be done. I am going to mount a speaker at the bottom front of the dash. My mic is at the top, so having the speaker really low may help with killing the echo.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

There should be a way to do what you want through software. Are you using Bluetooth for your phone, or it it plugged into the computer via the headset jack on the phone?

You might be able to work something out using virtual audio cable.

-- Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kross View Post
        There should be a way to do what you want through software. Are you using Bluetooth for your phone, or it it plugged into the computer via the headset jack on the phone?

You might be able to work something out using virtual audio cable.

-- Kevin
        Im using BT.... I dont think Centrafuse can use phone any other way. I do know that Centrafuse can choose what soundcard to use. Currently all my media and music is going through a PCI soundcard. Then Phone audio out is going through the onboard soundcard. The mic is also connected to the onboard soundcard. I like this way better because if i decide to use echo cancellation software, it wont effect my PCI soundcard, but only the onboard soundcard.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Try installing Virtual Audio Cable. Set the output for the phone to go to virtual audio cable instead of the onboard audio. Then run audio repeater (comes with VAC). Set input to be VAC, output to be SoundBlaster Live. For channel config, set Custom. Set number of channels to 1. Select the checkbox undex "FC" for front center. Clear all other checkboxes. Click Start.

See if that gives you audio output on just the center channel for phone calls.

Hope this helps!
          -- Kevin

Comment

A simple DPDT (Dual Pole Dual Throw) relay will do what you want.
            I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Thanx for the input guys, but in the end I just added another speaker. This one i put really really low in the dash, enough were i will hear it, but also enough that the mic wont pick it up and create the echo. Wiring wise, it was easy, I just ran a stereo extension cable to the amp in the back, then used a splitter to make it mono, then connected to the AMP. i still have to run the wire from the AMP to the speaker, which should take me about 15 minutes.

Nislo, how would the DPDT work though? Doesnt it need a power source to switch it over, or does the speaker line have enough power to switch it?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

No the DPDT switch doesnt need any power to do the switching, U just flip the switch and it will toggle between 2 sources..

Comment

AHHHHHHH, I understand now. Did I mention Im to lazy to have to flick a switch, lol. I guess this is why my build is taking so long, Im trying to automate everything. Pretty soon my car will become alive and drive me everywhere on its on. I guess the Dodge version of K.I.T.T from Knight Rider.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                  X