Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why am I having to set the gain so high on my amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I having to set the gain so high on my amp?

I have a Fosgate T5002 rated 500 watts RMS at 1 ohm. Well I only have one 500 watt Memphis M3 dual 4 which is bridged and unless I turn my gain up to about 3/4 the thing wont even hit. I currently have 4 gauge power and ground wires. My deck is a cheap JVC-KDG340 but have a Pioneer AVH-4000DVD on the way. Why am I having to set the gain so high? Is it because the low voltage on the deck? Is it the amp itself? Maybe the sub?

What's your filter set to on the amp? Have you double checked the deck to make sure no funky filters are set on it that would cause filtering to the sub? I'm not familiar with that particular head unit, but I know previous decks I've owned had hi-pass filters disguised as other things which were there to prevent systems without a sub to overextend the capabilities of component speakers not able to reproduce below 80hz and so on........ ?? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperZulu View Post
      What's your filter set to on the amp? Have you double checked the deck to make sure no funky filters are set on it that would cause filtering to the sub? I'm not familiar with that particular head unit, but I know previous decks I've owned had hi-pass filters disguised as other things which were there to prevent systems without a sub to overextend the capabilities of component speakers not able to reproduce below 80hz and so on........ ?? Just a thought.
      I have tried messing with everything on the deck and amp and it doesnt change anything. The gain still has to be set high.

Comment

From what I know and have experienced with amps and gain... The higher the input voltage, the less gain you will need. So, in this case, I am willing to bet on low output from your deck. High gain = harder that the amp has to work = higher distortion.

You're going to get 4v RMS out of the AVH-4000 DVD, which ain't too bad
        DON'T PANIC.

Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

Project CarPc V2

Comment

The T5002 is rated at 500W Bridged at 2 ohms. You should run your M3 in parallel

Chances are this is your problem, I would check this first.

Also you should make sure you have your low pass filter set. My personal preference would be some where between 40-80Hz depending on the ability of your front speakers.

Make sure you stay away from Bass Boost. If your amp is set up properly to provide 500W then using the bass boost will just send the amp into clipping.

Like Stealinfool mentioned a gain knob is just for matching your input voltage to give the right amount of amplification. If your JVC is not putting out that much voltage you will have to compensate with more gain. Its not neccessarily a bad thing, in fact that is why the gain knob is provided

Comment

Originally posted by MK17 View Post
            The T5002 is rated at 500W Bridged at 2 ohms. You should run your M3 in parallel

Chances are this is your problem, I would check this first.

Also you should make sure you have your low pass filter set. My personal preference would be some where between 40-80Hz depending on the ability of your front speakers.

Make sure you stay away from Bass Boost. If your amp is set up properly to provide 500W then using the bass boost will just send the amp into clipping.

Like Stealinfool mentioned a gain knob is just for matching your input voltage to give the right amount of amplification. If your JVC is not putting out that much voltage you will have to compensate with more gain. Its not neccessarily a bad thing, in fact that is why the gain knob is provided
            Thats the way I have it wired. I guess I will see how everything goes once I get the new head unit installed. Im also thinking of purchasing a new amp since the T5002 is so big and I only have a single cab and the sub box takes up the whole area behind the seats. Any suggestions of a good amp that wont break the bank?

Comment

what is the line out voltage on the deck? a line driver will bump the voltage up its basically a pre amp and will make a night and day difference. but check everything else first to single out the low RCA voltage

Comment

I really like the Sundown 1200D. I own the 1000D and when I received it I was surprised at how small it was. There website is Sundownaudio.com and there forum is located at Soundsolutionsaudio.com. The 1200D would easily put out the Wattage you need at 2 ohms

Comment

Working...
                X