Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another interference problem

Hello everyone,

I am in dire need of some direction here.
    I HAVE searched and searched and tried everything that I have found with no luck.
    I'm currently experiencing heavy interference from my inverter.
    Here is my setup and what i've done so far:

IBM Laptop > Power from Inverter
    9.2" Touchscreen Monitor > Power from Inverter
    Direct audio cable from Laptop to headunit for audio
    Inverter power is tapped from cigarette lighter

At first I thought it was the audio cable, so I tried something more heavily shielded.
    Then I tried an external USB Sound Card.
    Then I tried bypassing the headunit and going straight to the amp.
    I moved the ground to that of the headunit, then to bare metal.
    I then tried moving the inverter to a different location away from all audio cables and tapped from the car battery.

Still, I've come up with nothing.
    Interference only shows up when the audio cable is connected to headunit and the laptop.
    When I plug my Ipod directly into the headunit with the inverter running, There is no interference.

I am completely lost. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you all.

[HL][/HL]
    Originally posted by Medic1 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am in dire need of some direction here.
    I HAVE searched and searched and tried everything that I have found with no luck.
    I'm currently experiencing heavy interference from my inverter.
    Here is my setup and what i've done so far:

IBM Laptop > Power from Inverter
    9.2" Touchscreen Monitor > [HL]Power from Inverter[/HL]
    Direct audio cable from Laptop to headunit for audio
    Inverter power is tapped from cigarette lighter

At first I thought it was the audio cable, so I tried something more heavily shielded.
    Then I tried an external USB Sound Card.
    Then I tried bypassing the headunit and going straight to the amp.
    I moved the ground to that of the headunit, then to bare metal.
    I then tried moving the inverter to a different location away from all audio cables and tapped from the car battery.

Still, I've come up with nothing.
    Interference only shows up when the audio cable is connected to headunit and the laptop.
    When I plug my Ipod directly into the headunit with the inverter running, There is no interference.

I am completely lost. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you all.
    The problem is most likely the inverter. Try running your laptop from the battery with the inverter completely removed from the car and see if you get interference.

If so, replace the inverter with one of those car adaptors for laptops that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
      [HL][/HL]
      The problem is most likely the inverter. Try running your laptop from the battery with the inverter completely removed from the car and see if you get interference.

If so, replace the inverter with one of those car adaptors for laptops that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
      We'll, the issue there is that i've still got to power the monitor somehow. I have less issues with only the monitor plugged in, but that incredibly annoying buzz is still there.

I was thinking about trying a ground loop isolator. Would this be of any help?

I suppose as a last resort i could go about transmitting through an FM transmitter, but Im skeptical on the performance.

Comment

Plug the monitor into car power. I haven't heard of any monitors quitting because of being powered in the car.

A ground loop isolator may or may not help. It just depends on the precise cause of the buzz. If your audio wires run near power wires, shielding, grounding location of audio components and the inverter and monitor, etc.

If you unplug the monitor and only run the laptop with no inverter, does the buzz go away? If so, the problem is the inverter.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          Plug the monitor into car power. I haven't heard of any monitors quitting because of being powered in the car.

A ground loop isolator may or may not help. It just depends on the precise cause of the buzz. If your audio wires run near power wires, shielding, grounding location of audio components and the inverter and monitor, etc.

If you unplug the monitor and only run the laptop with no inverter, does the buzz go away? If so, the problem is the inverter.
          It is indeed the inverter. >.<

So in that case, i would be fine going down to radioshack and buying a universal DC adapter with a plug that fits the screen, correct? The AC brick shows an output of 12v with 2000mA.

Thanks for your help here.

Comment

That sounds like it will work.
            Want to:

Comment

Working...
            X