Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Soundcards

Hi,

I've been lurking here for quite a while, my CarPC has been in planning for a while and i have almost all my parts. The last thing i'm missing is a sound-card, i'm not planning on using an amp and i'm almost positive the on-board sound of my Aopen Pandora is going to blow. So i've been trying to decide on a usb sound solution.

Problem is all the searching i've done here turns up one problem or another with pretty much any external sound card.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on a USB sound-card that is going to give me sound i can stand to listen to? My only preference is that it have 4 channels, i don't really have a problem with stereo but i'd like to be able to control the fade of front and rear speakers.

Thanks

I hear you on the fade, drove me nuts trying to find a solution, not so much for fade, but for controlling my active setup (tweets, mids, and woofer).

I've got an M-Audio FireWire 410 (8ch) and it's great and all, but there is no simple way of controlling fade from it's mixer! It is not touch screen friendly and I can't send key strokes to it from girder, so that I could program a knob or something to control bass gain and treble gain.

I've resorted to going the analog route, I purchased 2 JL-Audio CL-RLC linedrivers/remote gain, they work great and do not impeded SQ as the audio is not sent through the knobs.

I originally had an EMU 0202 2 ch usb sound card, which had great SQ, with 2 cl-rlc you could emulate fade...

good luck..oh, and check my sig for schematics and more details on my setup...
    Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

DAC converter maybe?
      Slovenia, Europe
      best on-line radio

Comment

Although i like the idea of using a DAC right now i'm on a budget...

I'm thinking of going with an Audigy 2 NX, but what exactly are the 'hibernation issues' that i keep reading about?

Comment

Originally posted by kevin1162 View Post
          Although i like the idea of using a DAC right now i'm on a budget...

I'm thinking of going with an Audigy 2 NX, but what exactly are the 'hibernation issues' that i keep reading about?
          I gave up on this card as it dosen't support hibernate mode unless it's 5V supply is left powered ON constantly. If the power is switched off with the PC or Ignition control, the audio driver will hang when you restart the PC.
          Intel D945GCLF2, Lilliput 629GL-70NP, GTop MTK GPS, Road Runner, DFX4, Winamp 5.13+Console+VST->HotAudio DAC->NXS 400.4 + NXS400.2 DSP Amplifiers + DSP Software Processing->Dynaudio 340 3 Way Active

Comment

When you say hibernate does that include S3 standby?

And if the supply is turned off with the pc, how can it hang? The PC can't monitor the USB bus when it's completley powered off...

Comment

When you say hibernate does that include S3 standby?

And if the supply is turned off with the pc, how can it hang? The PC can't monitor the USB bus when it's completley powered off...
              The Audigy 2NX needs an additional 5VDC supply & not from the USB bus. If this 5V supply is switched off together with PC - during the next boot up the audio driver won't load properly in Hibernate & Standby mode.

If you wired the 5V to be permanently ON, Hibernate or Standy is ok.
              Intel D945GCLF2, Lilliput 629GL-70NP, GTop MTK GPS, Road Runner, DFX4, Winamp 5.13+Console+VST->HotAudio DAC->NXS 400.4 + NXS400.2 DSP Amplifiers + DSP Software Processing->Dynaudio 340 3 Way Active

Comment

is this a proven problem %100 of the time?

I was planning on buying either an audigy 2NX or extigy and connecting it to my carnetix PSU, which would switch off with the car...

Comment

is this a proven problem %100 of the time?

I was planning on buying either an audigy 2NX or extigy and connecting it to my carnetix PSU, which would switch off with the car...
                  Yes. It happens all the time.

Unless you planned not to use Standby & Hibernate, it is ok. It works well with a fresh boot. I'm going to use that in my car soon. Now sourcing for a Audison Bit-1 processor to go with it's optical output.

Comment

I have the Audigy 2NX it does have a Hibernate & Standby problem after coming out of theses. I just shut mine down completely each time of use. The problem I have now is that when hooked up,it takes a minute to boot to windows home screen. When unpluged during carputer boot, it take 20sec. Is this a driver issue? what drivers are you guys using for this sound card? Im running wmxp home w/sp3 update intel dg965ss board.
                    https://www.facebook.com/hinnantdesign1

Comment

hey

Originally posted by Cycfari View Post
                      Yes. It happens all the time.

Unless you planned not to use Standby & Hibernate, it is ok. It works well with a fresh boot. I'm going to use that in my car soon. Now sourcing for a Audison Bit-1 processor to go with it's optical output.
                      This is well said
                      Caverta Forzest

Comment

Working...
                      X