Quick and Noob question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick and Noob question

I was planning on getting a 4 channel amp and lets just say it's 1000 RMS total, which would mean 4 x 225 and 2 x 500, but I want three, and I wasn't sure but would it then be 2 x 225 and 1 x 500 if I bridged the other two channels together?

I just wanted to make sure this would be right so I can set my system up right. Thanks.

You can't normally do that with a 4 channel amp. Typically when you bridge a 4 channel amp you bridge it to two channels, so in your case (which would be a mammoth of a 4 channel amp I might add) you would get 2x500 watts, and it would only be stable at a 4ohm load. To do what you are trying to do I would recommend a 5 channel amp. They normally have a sub channel that will run down to 1ohm stable, and leave you 4 channels for your front end duties with lots of flexibility.

Edited to add that you can bridge the 4 stereo channels on the 5 channel amp to two if you only need two front channels, or if you need it make more power to the same two channels.
    Data911 M5 system
    RR and iGo8PC
    Pioneer head unit
    Pioneer DEQ-9200 digital processor
    Phoenix gold line drivers
    Ultimate and Visonik amplifiers
    SMT 3 way active front stage
    Digital Design sub woofers
    3 runs of 0 gauge wire

Comment

Working...
    X