Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connect a hard drive directly to a Stereo...But wait...there's more!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect a hard drive directly to a Stereo...But wait...there's more!

Ok, so I plan to buy a new stereo for my sound system, currently in progress. Let's say that this stereo will accept Ipods, thumb drives, etc.

Let's now say I have 250gb of music, and I want to keep it on a laptop/external hard drive in the car, and be able to access the entire library from the drive.

Let's then say that I want to mount a button on my dash that will tell the hard drive to look for my wireless network, and sync new tracks off of the media server overnight.

Any ideas? Could really use some tips here.

Budget is less than or equal to 500, I have several laptops and PCs on hand, so tech shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

Ride Runner and Enforcer's Upd8te plugin will do what you want.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
      Ride Runner and Enforcer's Upd8 plugin will do what you want.
      Thanks, but i really don't know what any of these do. Can you explain?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
        Doesn't need RideRunner, there is a standalone Upd8 app.
        I still don't really understand what any of those do.

Comment

Well the assumption is that you are using a computer, seeing this is a forum for running computers in the car.

With that assumption that are pieces of software that will let you do what you want.

If you are not using a computer, which I am starting to suspect, they will not help you.

And TBH honest there is nothing that will allow you to press a physical button that will tell a standalone harddrive to connect to a wireless network and sync music.

Actually nothing was not quite the right word to use, should have said nearly nothing, because you could use a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
            Well the assumption is that you are using a computer, seeing this is a forum for running computers in the car.

With that assumption that are pieces of software that will let you do what you want.

If you are not using a computer, which I am starting to suspect, they will not help you.

And TBH honest there is nothing that will allow you to press a physical button that will tell a standalone harddrive to connect to a wireless network and sync music.

Actually nothing was not quite the right word to use, should have said nearly nothing, because you could use a computer.
            Yeah, that's why I'm pretty much ambivalent to whichever solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachBeale View Post
              I still don't really understand what any of those do.
              http://en4cer.co.uk/joygov.shtml
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Go to Ebay and look up Media Hard drive enclosure you should be able to rig somthing very easily with adapters and what not to the stero. I'm not sure about the wireless Sync though. Really though how often do you update your collection?

Comment

Actually you can do (most of) that without a pc. I am running a hard drive (160Gb) with my head unit and keep it in the glove compartment with velco so I can detach it any time for an update. I know that Pioneer USB head units support up to 250Gb or 15,000 tracks, max 500mA current (but you can always add an additional and cheap 12v to 5v USB converter).

Comment

Originally posted by ZachBeale View Post
                    Ok, so I plan to buy a new stereo for my sound system, currently in progress. Let's say that this stereo will accept Ipods, thumb drives, etc.
                    Depending on car and stereo removing the headunit could be a challenge. If you have modern car (<8 yr old) this thing could be what you need.
                    http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/index.html
                    Car pc integration with ease
                    Car mediacenter

Comment

Originally posted by Megarock View Post
                      Actually you can do (most of) that without a pc. I am running a hard drive (160Gb) with my head unit and keep it in the glove compartment with velco so I can detach it any time for an update. I know that Pioneer USB head units support up to 250Gb or 15,000 tracks, max 500mA current (but you can always add an additional and cheap 12v to 5v USB converter).
                      Is there some sort of file/folder structure required to do this? And does it take long for the HU to search amongst 15,000 tracks?
                      Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
                      CPU Electrical Specs
                      Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
                      Temperature Converter
                      Voltage Calculator

Comment

depends on the HU how well it works. My brother has a Kenwood HU in his car with a USB interface, the display is only a single line so he said anything much larger than the 4GB USB drive he has on it would probably be painful to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by strikeback03 View Post
                          depends on the HU how well it works. My brother has a Kenwood HU in his car with a USB interface, the display is only a single line so he said anything much larger than the 4GB USB drive he has on it would probably be painful to navigate.
                          Thanks for the reply. However megarock says that there are "PIONEER USB head units that support up to 250Gb or 15,000 tracks..."

I don't think there's a head unit in the market today, with enough processing power that could swiftly thumb through 250 gigabytes of mp3 tracks. There must be a breakthrough in technology. Seriously, can someone prove otherwise?
                          Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
                          CPU Electrical Specs
                          Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
                          Temperature Converter
                          Voltage Calculator

Comment

Working...
                          X